Nikon lense - which one?

hi everyone

i am looking for help and i wondered if you can

i am a bit of an amatuer clicker and take the majority of my shots inside a sports hall photographing wheelchair basketball. My shots are ok - not much bluring and 'ok'. they are however grainy as i crank the iso up high to get the speed shot.

I currently use a nikon D90 with a 18-105 lense (fab otherwise i must admit) but i dont know where to go from here and which lense is next on my wanted list.

any help would be greatly appreciated

You may need to consider the large aperture len e.g f2.8 range such as 70-200mm, 80-200, or prime lens depending on space accessbility/limitation at the venue. However you are looking to spend ££££ :D

the venue - although a regular venue - does change due to away games. Ive not got a lot of cash to spare and wondered if there was a tamron (or other) version - rather than the nikon as i am sure that runs to over £1500 :help:

Just try the tamrom 300mm on a tripod !! i have one and get some good shots with a D90

Fast aperture is the way to go. What sort of focal length do you shoot mostly at with your current lens?

With Canon you can get a few fast prime lenses for fairly cheap like the 135mm, 50mm and Sigma 30mm.

I have a nikon 18-55f3.5-5.5.6g dx vr lens unused in box.

this is the standard nikon lens.

cheep cheep.

i currently use the 18-105 and use the lens at maximum zoom (not sure of the f. number) for lots of the shots, although not all of them.

I know i need a fast apperture and a low f. so that i can get the shot - i am sort of learning on the job but enjoying it immensley :)

I will look into the tamron, thanks for the suggestion.

Any more ideas?

Depending on how many shots are taken at full-zoom, I'd try primes - they're generally cheaper, faster and just 'better'. You'll learnt to zoom with your feet.

i do zoom with my feet as much as i can - but i am not allowed on court when they are playing :) although some of the players would find it fun to try to catch me if i was :D

I used to use a D90 with the Sigma 70-200 f2.8 for photograph the Sharks basketball. it's a cracking piece of glass. I think they are arounf the 700quid mark these days .

Cheers

Rob

Edit:

I use this with my d700 its a great lens

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-sigma-70-200mm-f2-8-apo-ex-dg-macro-hsm-ii-nikon-fit/p1027429

Edited by mcbobz

if you are going on the photo meet up I am sure you can try some of our lenses on your camera to see whitch suits you and your camera best before splashing out on a new one...

Barry