Buying first Electric Guitar in Sheffield

I'm buying my fiancee her first electric guitar for Christmas. It's not a surprise, but as it is a present I'm doing all the leg work. Once I've narrowed it down, I'll take her in to make her final choice.

I'm wondering if anyone has got any advice as to where to go in Sheffield to have access to a good range of starter guitars with good staff that are interested in giving good advice, not selling whatever they can get away with.

Budget is no more than about £150 for guitar and starter-amp. £100 would be nice but not if it's going to make a big difference to quality.

All feedback is very welcome.

:help:

To be honest you aren't going to get anything half decent for that amount.

I'm buying my fiancee her first electric guitar for Christmas. It's not a surprise, but as it is a present I'm doing all the leg work. Once I've narrowed it down, I'll take her in to make her final choice.

I'm wondering if anyone has got any advice as to where to go in Sheffield to have access to a good range of starter guitars with good staff that are interested in giving good advice, not selling whatever they can get away with.

Budget is no more than about £150 for guitar and starter-amp. £100 would be nice but not if it's going to make a big difference to quality.

Hi, I'm not sure about the best shop but for the price you're looking at I would advise trying a yamaha pacifica guitar, they're 'strat' style guitars and in my opinion for the money are among the best sounding, most playable buys available. You may need to shop around but should be able to get one for £150

Thanks

Dan

City Wide Heating Services

I've been down to Wavelength Music today on London Road after a recommendation. Having been in and spoken to them, I'm pretty happy that they're good people to buy from.

After brief discussion with them I agree £100 isn't going to be do-able but £150 (Fender & Amp) -> £200 (Ibanez & Amp) is a reasonable range for a starter.

Also, when you buy a guitar and amp, they provide the rest too (picks, case etc).

Never heard anyone particularly say good things about Music Box in Meadowhell, but thats where i got my first electric guitar. It was recommended by a friend for their range of beginner guitars which as far as i remember were all roughly around the £100 mark. Of course some were cheaper, some werent.

I'm trying to shift my first amp for £30 quid. Ill stick some pics up if you like, or i might just stick it on the forums as an advert later

The people in Wavelength Music are great. It might be a touch more expensive than the music chains but it's a local independent shop that has been there for donkeys years.

Go second hand....

I just picked up a Fender Squier Strat...in Red...looks absolutely brand new...for £46 from Cash Converters opposite Wilkinson's....and I then picked up a little new looking amp for a tenner off of here.

Have a look in the ads on here too. :)

Mine's a Christmas present for my partner....and I know he likes it already....he's been playing with it for about a week now. I hope when I eventually wrap it he doesn't guess what it is :lol:

Edited by julado

Why do you want feedback? :huh:

To be honest you aren't going to get anything half decent for that amount.

Better than spending £600 then packing in after a week

There's a little shop on london rd a couple of hundred yards past saisnburys. They have loads of guitars, new and second hand.