Don't let Sheffield become 'the forgotten Blitz'

I was under the impression 70 people were killed and 64 bodies were recovered??? are the rest not still there?

I too have always been under the impression that there are still bodies under there :confused:

‘Sheffield – The Forgotten Blitz’.

NOT by Sheffielders it isn't

You only have to look at a row of houses, to an odd one where it was BLITZED & then rebuilt in another style.

If you go to " Rareandracy " 164/166 Devonshire St. Sheffield S3 7SG they have a map that shows where ever bombs were dropped on Sheffield.

The attack on Sheffield was code-named Crucible by the Germans, a reference to the pioneering steelmaking technique developed there in the eighteenth century.

There are many stories about the bombing of the Marples, recounting lucky escapes as well as pathetic bereavements. According to several popular accounts, children were taken inside as the air raid intensified, although the youngest listed victim was a 22-year-old woman.

One person who cheated death was a celebrity - Joe Davis, who was already by then the World Billiards Champion. He was scheduled to play an exhibition match at the Marples that night, but could not make the trip from Hull because of earlier bomb damage to the railway network.

Above from GOOGLE

The bodies of sixty-four people were recovered, as well as the partial remains of six or seven others. Forty-six were identified, all but fourteen from their personal effects.

FROM GOOGLE

The bodies of sixty-four people were recovered, as well as the partial remains of six or seven others. Forty-six were identified, all but fourteen from their personal effects.

FROM GOOGLE

Thanks Fairthorn, so I guess that proves there are no bodies at all left, I stand corrected :(

Good that it is to commemorate the anniversary of the German bombings of Sheffield I don’t see how Sheffield will become ‘the forgotten Blitz’.

Most cities and ports with anything worth bombing were bombed during WWII. Birmingham, Liverpool, Southampton, Manchester, Bristol, Belfast, Cardiff, Clydebank, Hull, Coventry, Plymouth, Aberdeen and Nottingham were bombed amongst others.

FROM GOOGLE

Im not saying this might not be the case BUT google is like the media, you would be naive to believe everything you read is factual :)

I was under the impression 70 people were killed and 64 bodies were recovered??? are the rest not still there?

AS has been said many times, there were a few of the people killed who would have been fragmented by the blast, (sorry to put this so bluntly) so there would have been very little to recover.

The site was excavated to a great depth to allow the foundations of the new building to be commenced,they would certainly have found any remaining corpses or body parts.

Who are the "We" you refer to in your post, Eccle?

Maybe its all the white Christian folk ?

We’ve started a petition to ask the Town Hall to start a fundraising campaign to ensure lasting memorials to the two nights in December 1940 that changed the course of Sheffield history forever.

How did the blitz in Sheffield change the course of Sheffield history forever? Didn't make any real discernable difference to the steel industry for example.

Historic and tragic event yes - course changing no.

How did the blitz in Sheffield change the course of Sheffield history forever? Didn't make any real discernable difference to the steel industry for example.

Historic and tragic event yes - course changing no.

Yep may not have changed the course of history but I bet things such as the 40,000 people made homeless would have had a massive effect on the city. hopefully the documentary on friday will talk about the effects and changes the city went through.