Internet Drivers - who? Where? How Much?

I know ;-)

So why the confusion when you say it's most likely not the NIC, but might be the wireless NIC?

So why the confusion when you say it's most likely not the NIC, but might be the wireless NIC?

Because most people tend to use NIC to refer to an ethernet card.

Someone looking for 'internet drivers' isn't likely to know that 'network interface card' means his wifi.

Thanks for replies so far folks. Just to be clear, our home desktop PC is a Fujitsu. It is not connecting to the internet. We have it plugged into the cable from the Vigin Media router but it isn;t even showing a network connection (like it did previously) (before I re-installed Vista).

So, as a temp alternative, I've stopped using the desktop PC and hooked my own (Dell) laptop upto the inernet cable and it connects / works fine. I just don't want to have to use my laptop for the internet long-term, so would like to get the Fujitsu desktop PC working on the internet again.

Can someone clarify a solution please?

If you follow my advice at post 14, download 'Desktop Update.exe' to your laptop or an attached memory stick, then put the stick into your PC and run from their. You need to make sure you enter the model details precisely for the correct drivers to be installed. This is what comes up if you follow my instructions already given:

"DeskUpdate

DeskUpdate is an application for automatically software installation (drivers and utilities).

REQUIREMENTS

Please check if your system is listed in the compatibility list with the respective operating systems.

Please note that at least one network driver has to be installed and a connection to the internet must be established. (Network drivers for your system can be also found in the compatibility list.)

We recommend using a high-speed internet connection (download > 1 MBit). Do not run DeskUpdate with a modem or ISDN connection.

Download the DeskUpdate software and extract it to your system. There is no separate installation necessary.

Start the "DeskUpdate.exe" file and follow the instructions.

PLEASE NOTE

The installation of the entire system can take some minutes.

Only hardware that was included in delivery will be supported.

Please close appearing "Found New Hardware Wizard" pop-up windows with "cancel".

Due to technical reasons DeskUpdate is not able to identify and install every kind of Software automatically. Please check (here), if there are further drivers or software for a manually installation available.

DATA SECURITY

Your internet connection to Fujitsu will be encoded via SSL.

Type of operating systems and system ID will be read out and transmitted to Fujitsu.

DOWNLOAD DESKUPDATE " (There is an acceptance checkbox you have to tick before the download will begin).

swarfendor43

When I download the Fujitsu 'Desktop Update' application onto my laptop, then transfer to the Fujitsu desktop PC and open the file, it doesn't work.

This is because the app wants to connect to the internet to check for updates / latest drivers etc. The VERY PROBLEM is that the desktop PC doesn't connect to the internet so I can't run / install the drivers. This is mental.

I can't even run the Fujitsu app on the laptop because it's a DELL. When I try to run the app from the laptop it says it can not be done because it's not a Fujitsu PC. WTF.

Any other ideas?

On that page which had the Desktop Update there is a link which mentions manual driver download (the word 'here' on that page is hyperlinked). You are then asked to put the model of your PC in their and go through the dropdowns - any joy?

swarfendor43