Nikon 3100 (advice plz)

Has anyone on the forum go a nikon 3100 as im

Looking at getting my 1st slr and its my favourite at the minute your views plz?

Alan

Hi Alan

Not sure if you have already purchased a camera but I recently have picked one of these up. Only had it a few days and I'm very impressed with it's ease of use and picture quality. Still trying to figure out how some things work but I'm sure with a little practice I'll get the hang of it. I work with an ex-professional photographer who'll I'll be seeing on Tuesday so I'll let you know his comments if you're still looking.

One comment I would make is I would suggest not going to Harrisons to have a test of one. The guy wouldn't let me as he said he could sell it straight from the box rather than letting me handle it. I bought mine from Jacobs in town. Also it currently comes with £40 cashback direct from Nikon.

Happy shopping.

Vaughan

Evening, Vaughan, my son is looking to buy a Nikon d3100. Do you know where the best deal is in Sheffield at present. Ta. Paul

Test message 3 (Just putting this drivvle on to get up to 5 posts, so I can ask a question!)

Evening, Vaughan, my son is looking to buy a Nikon d3100. Do you know where the best deal is in Sheffield at present. Ta. Paul

Jacobs do it at £478.99 but there's £40 cashback at the moment via cheque redemption.:)

Hi Paul

Everywhere in Sheffield are about the same price. I think Jessops have the best offer where you get the camera (with lens) and a tripod for £469 where everywhere else are selling the camera on it's own (with lens) for £469. If your son buys one before 31st Nikon are doing a £40 cash back offer. You just need to fill a form in and copy you receipt and warranty details and pop them in the post.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Vaughan

Be careful with the lower end Nikons. They are good cameras but some of them don't have auto-focus motors.

This is over-simplified, but basically there are two types of lens:

AF lenses use the motor in the camera to auto-focus.

AF-S lenses have their own motor built into the lens.

If you're camera doesn't have an auto-focus motor, you'll be limited to the more expensive AF-S lenses. The AF lenses would work, but you would have to focus manually by rotating the barrel.

It's not the end of the world, but the cheaper cameras can end up meaning you'll spend more money on lenses (and be limited in choice) in the long-run. So if you plan on adding lenses, they may be a bit of a false economy.

I'm not sure which lenses the D3100 supports, but you can check on Nikon's website.

Other than that, they're really good cameras. I've been using a D60 (an older version) for a couple of years and love it to bits!