Stalingrad book, from Sheffield.

I would like to gather some information about a book that was written on parchment by the people of Sheffield and sent to Stalingrad after the seige to commemorate their stand against the German army.3,899 people signed it starting with the Bishop of Sheffield and then the Master Cutler followed by members of womens guilds,trade unions,working mens clubs,co-op and cole Bros.The stainless steel enameled case it was sent in was designed by Joyce Rosemary Himsworth a highly esteemed designer from Sheffield.If anyone could shed any light on this subject I would love to hear from them because the war museum in Stalingrad(Volgagrad now)would also love to make contact with someone who could humanise(for want of a better word)the book.I have tried the Sheffield archives,the museums and the central library also the Cutlers hall and the Cathedral with no joy.

I wonder if the book you mention is in any way connected to the ' Sword of Stalingrad ' which was presented to Stalin during the war.

I understand that the sword was manufactured in Sheffield and at least part of it was made of silver. It seems quite likely that there was SOME connection between the book and the sword ? Anyway, hope this helps a little ! [ The sword was officially a gift, I think, from King George V1 in recognition of the great Russian sacrifices and ultimate victory at Stalingrad ].

I also wondered if there was a connection with the Sword of Stalingrad, though it seems doubtful. There is an interesting Wikipedia article on the Sword_of_Stalingrad which doesn't mention the book. I hope that someone can provide information.

Yes there is a connection between the sword and the book because they are both in the same museum in Stalingrad.The sword is truly magnificent.The steel for the sword was made and rolled at Sanderson,Brothers and Newbold on Newhall Road and I think the man who rolled the steel was Joe Crookes.The steel was then sent to a man called Tom Beasley,aged 83,Who fashioned the sword.He then passed it on to the Wilkinson sword company who finished off all the decorating of the sword. .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sword_of_Stalingrad

(sorry Hillsbro did not see your link)

When we visited the Stalingrad museum they were more than anxious to meet someone who had something to do with the book.

Yes there is a connection between the sword and the book because they are both in the same museum in Stalingrad....)
Well, I suppose this doesn't mean there is an actual connection between the two, except that they are both in the museum (as one might expect). My uncle, now aged 81, worked for Sanderson Brothers & Newbould and he knew some of the people involved with the sword blade. I just spoke to him and he doesn't remember anything about a book - but he is very interested, like all of us!

No the book and the sword are two different issues because the sword was a gift from the king and the book was a gift from the people of Sheffield.The book took almost a year to get to Stalingrad by private messengers.

Well, I suppose this doesn't mean there is an actual connection between the two, except that they are both in the museum (as one might expect). My uncle, now aged 81, worked for Sanderson Brothers & Newbould and he knew some of the people involved with the sword blade. I just spoke to him and he doesn't remember anything about a book - but he is very interested, like all of us!

I also worked at sandersons on the rolling mills for a few years in the 50s & 60s.I may have known him.

casket.jpg[

Just had this sent me of the designer and the box.Looks a very good piece of work.