The Salary Dispute !

about (say) 45k a year for a good self employed plumber with an apprenticeship.

council/nhs are on circa £25k i believe, but provided with pension/annual leave etc on top. once someone on 45k has paid their taxes/tools/van /hols etc it wont be a lot more.

Good Thread

Really, the OP has disappeared and never engaged with any of the debate, everyone else posting is pretty much in agreement...

council/nhs are on circa £25k i believe, but provided with pension/annual leave etc on top. once someone on 45k has paid their taxes/tools/van /hols etc it wont be a lot more.

Yes The ones that I know who have done work for me in the past have earnt this kind of money but would then be paying tax etc and if they want to, a pension.

:help::help::help::help::hihi: Edited by euclid

Does anyone out there believe that plumbers should make an annual salary that exceeds that of a police officer, fireman, solider, nurse, paramedic etc?

No, but often than not, tradesmen are self employed and therefore are sort of in command of their salary. Whereas the other examples all work for the state, where the pay is often less. However the kind of people who do the jobs above are usually the kind of people who think salary is secondary in terms of job rewards etc.

Originally Posted by kelly1980

I wonder if Mr Plumber told Mr Taxman that he'd earned the money? If he did, I'll bet that he told him that he'd only earned half as much. Let's face it, the self-employed are the biggest cheats around!

A huge generalisation there. Do you have any concrete evidence to back up this rather slanderous statement?

Oy Dipstick. When Did I say that? You might want to requote. Living up to that username I see :rolleyes::banana:

Police/fire/nursing again get in the low-mid 20k region, only those who are in more senior positions after promotion will earn over 30k.

both the figures of Police and Nursing are a little on the low side - the police figures are higher in the top increments of the PC scale and while Band 5 for Nurses and other Health Professionals has a top increment of 27ish K GBP it does not include unsociable hours allowances which can bring top line salary over 30 for the top few incremental points , assuming you work in a 24/7 environment and take your fair share of nights and weekends.

Would just like to point out that not all solicitors are rip-off merchants. There are those who only deal in Legal Aid and believe you me they are the ones struggling to keep a business over their heads.

These solicitors are needed just as much as the "rip-off merchants" but no-body seems to think of these when they consider solicitors - everyone just thinks of those who deal in private work and charge the earth for the privilege.

Those solicitors who work on legal aid still have the same overheads with far less money to "play with" and yet they still get "tarred" with the same brush.

I also happen to think lawyers, solicitors, barristers etc are grossly overpaid and charge exhorbitant amounts in expenses.

They have now, in most cases, put legal representation beyond the pocket of the ordinary man or woman.

i think solicitors are really overpaid, when my dad passed away and didnt leave a will i had to get a certificate from a solicitor to prove i was the person sorting out his fianances. i got various prices ranging from £350 to £650 plus vat. i eventually got the papers myself, which took me to me 20 minutes to fill in and cost me £90. Bit of a difference eh. For solicitors they should be put under sharks or rip off merchants in the yellow pages telephone directory

Then neither of you understand the difference between what people charge, and what they earn. As people have been pointing out, there's a huge difference.

I spent years becoming qualified, and currently earn less than my mate who works at carphone warehouse (admittedly a manager). Another mate who's a plumber (very on topic) earns double what I do. Neither amassed the student debt I did, although thankfully for me, I didn't have to pay tuition fees as it was some time ago.

Around 70% of solicitors earn less than £30k. To earn more than £50k, you need to be a partner, or work in London. Possibly after around 15 years experience you might touch £50k, but certainly not in wills and probate, as you mentioned.

Any other myths you'd like me to help with, just ask.