Would you if you got paid for it

we were having a discussion in the pub the other night, about getting off ya bum to vote, personally i always make the effort to put my 'X' in the box, and it annoys me when others don't for what ever reason

out of the 9 of us having this chat only 2 of us actually go to vote ,the others said they didn't see the point or simply couldn't be bothered, but these self same people all said they WOULD go out to vote if they got paid for it.

i was just wondering out of interest ,if there are any no-voters on SF, how many others would vote if you got paid too ?

If I got paid for it I'd pledge to vote for the person paying me!

we were having a discussion in the pub the other night, about getting off ya bum to vote, personally i always make the effort to put my 'X' in the box, and it annoys me when others don't for what ever reason

out of the 9 of us having this chat only 2 of us actually go to vote ,the others said they didn't see the point or simply couldn't be bothered, but these self same people all said they WOULD go out to vote if they got paid for it.

i was just wondering out of interest ,if there are any no-voters on SF, how many others would vote if you got paid too ?

Buying votes - wonderful idea... that way the person with the deepest pockets gets to win the election. Rotten boroughs were done away with in the 1832 Reform Act - I can't see them coming back again.

Buying votes - wonderful idea... that way the person with the deepest pockets gets to win the election. Rotten boroughs were done away with in the 1832 Reform Act - I can't see them coming back again.

it's was only a passing thought, not a wish for the return of such a system, just wondered how much higher , theorhetically, the turn out figures might be if a payment was made for your vote, thats all

How about every voter gets entered into a lottery style draw and one person from each constituency 'wins' £1,000? Would that encourage more people to vote?

I'm a no-voter, I don't vote for a specific reason.

But money is money.

What does the payment depend on?

Turning up at a polling station?

Actually being seen to put an X by a single name on the voting slip?

Actually being seen to put a ballot paper in the box?

Does a spoiled ballot paper count?

I refuse to vote for a bunch of "liars and thieves", but jump through a few hoops for a couple of quid I can do. Just so long as I don't have actually vote for one of them.

if you don't vote you've no-one else to blame when you end up paying for it

How about every voter gets entered into a lottery style draw and one person from each constituency 'wins' £1,000? Would that encourage more people to vote?

Be better to lottery the position of MP and the £65000+ expenses.

should be fined if you don't vote!

if you don't vote you've no-one else to blame when you end up paying for it

I just can't understand this way of thinking.

I just can't understand this way of thinking.

Are you serious? Having a vote is a right, yes, but could also be considered a priviledge considered others countries don't, or have different eligibility criteria.

If you don't choose to use your vote, then what gives you the right to complain about the outcome of that vote? You would have had a chance to have your say and did nothing.

Fining non voters might be a good idea - even if they tick the 'no vote box' at least they got off their ar$e and had their say.

Easiest thing to do would be make it mandatory.