Gleadless valley school

Yeah - 137. I was born in the upstairs bedroom of that very maisonette, nearly 55 years ago. We moved out in 1963 (just after the hurricane) up to Constable Drive were I was raised. I left Constable Drive in May 1979 to join the Royal Navy, and am still in. Have lived away from Sheffield ever since but still come back round my old haunts and Hemsworth/The Valley is always very special to me.

Julie is in her mid sixties and lives in Spain now and Helen lost her battle with cancer in 2010 aged 56.

Where did you live? I have quite a few pictures of that era but unsure if this forum allows uploads.

PCD[/quote

We lived at 123 in the same maisonettes from 58 to 63 then we moved to near the Bagshawe Arms my mother still lives there. I moved to Manchester in 70 and still live there.My mother has a picture of all the kids in our flats stood on the bridge to the flats in around 1960 Julie and Helen are on it.Sorry to hear about Helen 56 is no age.It was a great place to grow up,so much to do we had all the countryside to play in yet we were only 20 mins by bus from town.Have you been down Gaunt rd recently, it's overgrown and shabby not like I like to remember it

Yeah - 137. I was born in the upstairs bedroom of that very maisonette, nearly 55 years ago. We moved out in 1963 (just after the hurricane) up to Constable Drive were I was raised. I left Constable Drive in May 1979 to join the Royal Navy, and am still in. Have lived away from Sheffield ever since but still come back round my old haunts and Hemsworth/The Valley is always very special to me.

Julie is in her mid sixties and lives in Spain now and Helen lost her battle with cancer in 2010 aged 56.

Where did you live? I have quite a few pictures of that era but unsure if this forum allows uploads.

PCD[/quote

We lived at 123 in the same maisonettes from 58 to 63 then we moved to near the Bagshawe Arms my mother still lives there. I moved to Manchester in 70 and still live there.My mother has a picture of all the kids in our flats stood on the bridge to the flats in around 1960 Julie and Helen are on it.Sorry to hear about Helen 56 is no age.It was a great place to grow up,so much to do we had all the countryside to play in yet we were only 20 mins by bus from town.Have you been down Gaunt rd recently, it's overgrown and shabby not like I like to remember it

Loved it up at Hemsworth. Real place to learn life's great lessons. And the mix of youngsters who eventually went to GVSS were perfect character building stuff.

Would like to see that picture if you have it. My nephews and nieces would be interested in it.

PCD

It was indeed a great place to grow up. I was born in the maisonettes as well, then moved to just behind the John O' Gaunt. I have good memories of growing up there, although I am sure some of it must be rose tinted glasses.

I started at the school in or around 1962 to 1966 i have never been able to track anyone i went to school with Mr Hughs was the Head and Mr Roach was the DH after him came Mr Cooper i think i know he was also a Math teacher Mr Howe was my form teacher we also had Drama with a Mr Whitehouse if anyone went around that time i would love to hear from you,

I started at the school in or around 1962 to 1966 i have never been able to track anyone i went to school with Mr Hughs was the Head and Mr Roach was the DH after him came Mr Cooper i think i know he was also a Math teacher Mr Howe was my form teacher we also had Drama with a Mr Whitehouse if anyone went around that time i would love to hear from you,

I left in 67 so you must have been in an older year than me,can't you remember anybodies names from your year I can remember a few. Whereabouts on GV did you live

Gleadless Valley Secondary (Modern) School ('64-'65)

Here is a photo from 1965ish.

Gleadless Valley Secondary (Modern) School ('64-'65)

Here is a photo from 1965ish.

Good old picture!, I actually really enjoyed most of my time at that school!

I livedon gaunt road 67/79 to we were the Burgin family I also went to bankwood school then gleadless valley friends Deborah green Jackie deaking remember the Robertsons friends with my brother Karl, also remember Timothy Hague EMO (Andrew :)

Edited by Lou64
Adding date

way back in 1970 I used to catch the number 33 bus on london road to the top of blackstock road could someone tell me what the bus route would have been

way back in 1970 I used to catch the number 33 bus on london road to the top of blackstock road could someone tell me what the bus route would have been

Basically, London Road to Chesterfield Road, all the way to Woodseats, then left, up Scarsdale Road (steep road), along Derbyshire lane to Graves Park, then along Hemsworth Road toward the Water Tower and the top of Blackstock Road.

From memory from a long time ago.......

Hi Sue 

I sat accross from you in 4:2Sellars class the Pass twins sat behind you you may not remember me my name is Chris Batty. 

We moved 500 miles north to the top of Scotland. Its a long time since we last spoke. How have you been after over half a century? 

I saw a girl Sandra Harris her grandmother lived in my grand father's block of flats on Reburn Road but that's a long time ago. 

Speak later

Chris