Gleadless valley school

Hi I was at the valley from 1962 can any one tell me the name of some of the teachers there I had a stroke a few years back and memory not that good I do remember mr turner my metal work teacher mr gratton maths teacher with a heavy weighted cane, a mr smelled who we walled whistling Walt there was a young woman who took girls for sport who all the male teachers lusted. After, a mr cuts who thought tech drawing there must be more I've forgotten x

Well, some of those names lasted into the 1970's, when I went there.

Gleadless Valley Secondary (Modern) school ‘64-‘65

Any memories?

Yes Miss Chapman the girls P.E. teacher in her hockey skirt

Mr. Howe (Geography)

Mr. Proctor (art or Chemistry, something like that)

Mr Smith (English?)

Mr Turner (Metalwork)

Mr. Howe (Geography)

Mr. Proctor (art or Chemistry, something like that)

Mr Smith (English?)

Mr Turner (Metalwork)

I was there 63 to 67 don't recall Mr Smith, Mr Proctor was Art,I think he was our House (Kestrel) leader

Pop Smedley physics, Proctor (hearing aid) Art and chess class at night. Howe geography, can hear brass neck now, go and fetch Mr Howes cane so I can hit you with it,LOL. Mrs Maillard? Was she the French teacher?

Anyone remember a music teacher called Miss or Mrs Sablovs? She was off het head LOL>

Pop Smedley physics, Proctor (hearing aid) Art and chess class at night. Howe geography, can hear brass neck now, go and fetch Mr Howes cane so I can hit you with it,LOL. Mrs Maillard? Was she the French teacher?

Anyone remember a music teacher called Miss or Mrs Sablovs? She was off het head LOL>

Yes she was,she was from Belgium,Mr Howe was his nickname Plod?

Art teacher William Proctor's nickname was 'Whistling Jack' on account of his overbite giving him the whistles when he talked. He retired in '75 I think and was replaced by Mr James.

'Cyril' Smith was certainly there in the late sixties as he taught both my sisters (Julie and Helen Woods)

Garth Howe died recently from cancer. Great teacher.

Mr Turner was also a nice bloke too.

Art teacher William Proctor's nickname was 'Whistling Jack' on account of his overbite giving him the whistles when he talked. He retired in '75 I think and was replaced by Mr James.

'Cyril' Smith was certainly there in the late sixties as he taught both my sisters (Julie and Helen Woods)

Garth Howe died recently from cancer. Great teacher.

Mr Turner was also a nice bloke too.

Did your sisters live in the maisonettes on Gaunt rd

Did your sisters live in the maisonettes on Gaunt rd

Yeah - 137. I was born in the upstairs bedroom of that very maisonette, nearly 55 years ago. We moved out in 1963 (just after the hurricane) up to Constable Drive were I was raised. I left Constable Drive in May 1979 to join the Royal Navy, and am still in. Have lived away from Sheffield ever since but still come back round my old haunts and Hemsworth/The Valley is always very special to me.

Julie is in her mid sixties and lives in Spain now and Helen lost her battle with cancer in 2010 aged 56.

Where did you live? I have quite a few pictures of that era but unsure if this forum allows uploads.

PCD

Edited by PC Drive