Gleadless valley school

They were older than me, but I remember Dicky, Panda, Muff, etc., and Martin Gilbert, who was built like Jonah Lomu!! (Martin Gilbert and Pete Dickinson were in the school rugby team, both good players).[/QUOT

1971 -1976

Miss Barnaby - French

Mr Martin (Doc) - English & Library

Mr Moffat - Tech Drawing

Mr Hughes then Mr Lamb - Headmaster

Mr Greenfields - Music

Mrs Peers - Chemistry

Mrs Kentzer - Home economics

Mr Smedley -

Mr Grattan - Maths

Can't remember

Metalwork

Geography (Mr Richards rings a bell)

Girls Games

Physics (After Kentzer)

History

R.E.

Biology (Welsh Bloke)

I was there 80-85, girls games teacher was Miss Whitehead, Physics was Mr Lyons - looked like a mad professor, RE was Mr Rolph - great teacher, and biology was Mr Morgan, indeed welsh.

I was there 1988-1993 now which teachers do i remember????

My Lyons - science and my form teacher...had a r8 big chin and specs

Mr Bradley - maths...birmingham city fan lol

Mr Kearns - english....RIP big man

Mr Brandwood - ICT...looked like chewbacca from star wars lol

Mr Poore - the teacher with the famous long black coat lol

Mr Morgan - Welsh science teacher

Mr Howe - Geography...old guy but r8 good teacher

Mr Richards - Geography ... proper Welsh and couldnt understand him!

Mrs Townsend - Spanish...obsessed with donkey sanctuary!

Mr Tracey - French...faggin it whenever he could and he stunk!

Mr Pickup - Maths...lives near me mum n dad lol

Miss Mettam - RE - weirdo!

I was in Mr Pickup's class 25 years ago, as i recall back then he lived on Commonside at Walkley, probably still does... He was one of my fave teachers, in fact apart from Mrs Bradley the typing teacher he was probably the only one I actually liked :gag::rant:

I still have nightmares about that daft old bat Freeman to this day! :shocked::rant:

Hi Rich Mr Pickup now lives in Wadsley Village....round corner from my mum and dad lol :hihi:

Am trying to find info on a teacher who was at Gleadless Valley in the 1960's by the name of Mr Sellars (Walter). His wife was at teacher too I think. Can anyone help please?

Hi there

Does anyone remember a teacher by the name of Walter Sellars from Gleadless Valley School please? He may also have taught elsewhere too.

I believe he was my great aunts son and he married an Eileen Walsh who was a teacher at Sheffield High School. I am told he was a little excentric so I am hoping people will remember him!

Thanks

"Blackguard, Scoundrell" was his way of addressing pupils if they failed to meet his approval. He was my form teacher from September 1965 to July 1966, 3:3 and he was as mad as a hatter. His bag was History and sadly, History was not mine. He used to refer to fellow pupil Eric Pashley as Pashbags. In an odd way he reminded me of TV's Frankie Howard except for the homosexuality, to my knowledge, Plod, as he was known, was hetro.

He was off sick on 6th June 1966, I happen to recall. It was 6/6/66 and registration was taken by a one Mr Bloom who now lives, I happen to know, in Bangkok.

Other than that, not much more to add about Plod other than he was eccentric.

There was a mr sellars at jordanthorpe in the late 70s.

Think he was ginger, short, chemistry with an orange beetle but I might be mixed up....

There was a mr sellars at jordanthorpe in the late 70s.

Think he was ginger, short, chemistry with an orange beetle but I might be mixed up....

Was just going to post about this Mr Sellars . He was a student teacher at Herries , must have been in 71 or 72. I remember he piled all our tutor group into the little orange Beetle and took us to see a mass spectrometer at some company near Beely Woods, we LOVED it ! . Can you imagine that happening nowadays . Health & Safety's head would explode !

Edit....bowing to Mr G's superior knowledge. He suggests it was probably a gas chromatography machine we went to see . No wonder I failed science !!

Edited by mrs grissom
Smart ass husband !

Was just going to post about this Mr Sellars . He was a student teacher at Herries , must have been in 71 or 72. I remember he piled all our tutor group into the little orange Beetle and took us to see a mass spectrometer at some company near Beely Woods, we LOVED it ! . Can you imagine that happening nowadays . Health & Safety's head would explode !

Edit....bowing to Mr G's superior knowledge. He suggests it was probably a gas chromatography machine we went to see . No wonder I failed science !!

Brilliant! Best way to learn.

I reckon it was a k reg beetle so it was probably the same. Not got as much cred. As mr pollards Morris minor van though :)

i remember mr sellars teaching at the valley in the early 60s, he was an ok teacher but absent minded. I also remember eric pashley we were in the same class as far as i know he still lives up there i think my sister susan still see's him knocking about we are all getting older know ound, we are just g

i remember mr sellars teaching at the valley in the early 60s, he was an ok teacher but absent minded. I also remember eric pashley we were in the same class as far as i know he still lives up there i think my sister susan still see's him knocking about we are all getting older know ound, we are just g

Hi there

I have a photo of the man I believe to be Walter Sellars. Would you allow me to email a copy of it to you for you to take a look to see if it is the same person? Many thanks in advance for your help.

---------- Post added 13-10-2013 at 23:02 ----------

Brilliant! Best way to learn.

I reckon it was a k reg beetle so it was probably the same. Not got as much cred. As mr pollards Morris minor van though :)

Thanks for your help on this one but I don't think its the same Mr Sellars as the gentleman I am speaking about would have taught I believe in the 1960's and wouldn't have been a student teacher as he was born in the early 1920's ... it's great to reminisce though isn't it !