Parking wrong way at night

Its not so much the parking the wrong way round that is the problem, its when the ***** leave their headlights on! They obviously dont realise that the configuration of the headlight beam causes them to dazzle oncoming traffic. A common occurence in Kiveton, paticularly with private cab drivers.

Incidently, talking about parking lights, does anybody use Goosecar lane at Todwick? A whole line of cars facing both directions, none with lights and on a National Speed Limit (60 MPH) road.

Hi kivoman,I agree with you entirely about the lights on,in Kivo it seems to be a habit of parking outside the bank wrong way round blinding everyone at night,too lazy to walk across the road no doubt :hihi:,i often use Goosecar lane and know what you mean there too, always one on the corner at bottom of houses,parks there in fog as well :loopy:

I believe that (after dark) the red reflectors on the rear lamp cluster should be facing oncoming traffic in the same lane. Also, there may be an insurance issue if someone collides with the stationary car.

Edited by carosio

A good few laws on parking at night don't get enforced too often.

This one included:

Cars, goods vehicles not exceeding 1525 kg unladen weight, invalid carriages, motorcycles and pedal cycles may be parked without lights on a road (or lay-by) with a speed limit of 30 mph (48 km/h) or less if they are

at least 10 metres (32 feet) away from any junction, close to the kerb and*facing in the direction of the traffic flow

in a recognised parking place or lay-by

Other vehicles and trailers, and all vehicles with projecting loads, MUST NOT be left on a road at night without lights.

[Laws RVLR reg 24 & CUR reg 82(7)]

Which would have any decent-sized van (kerb weight > 1525 kgs) only legal if it is lit up at night.

AS far as i remember in the early 1970s the law was changed and it only became an offence to park at night without parking lights if you were facing the wrong way.

Until then you had to have a parking light even if you were facing the right way, if you think back some cars had a parking light built into the body, on four door cars it was usualy on the pillar between the doors.

Portable parking lights were also sold. (See link below)

The law was changed to reflect the big improvement in street lighting and the the reflective registration plates which were itnroduced in the late 1960's.

Even now most cars have a postion on the light switch which allows the front hedlight to be on side light and the rear light to light up both of these are only on the near side.

As for parking on the pavement it's an offence however together with the lighting issue the police dont have the resources to issue tickets.

Example of a portable parking light:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vintage-ross-car-parking-light-/260703537852?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb3244abc

Edited by bus man

Until then you had to have a parking light even if you were facing the right way, if you think back some cars had a parking like built into the body on four door cars it was usualy on the pillar between the doors. Portable parking lights were also sold.

I can remember that during the 50s and 60s, owners sometimes stood those yellow paraffin lanterns (corporation type) fitted with a red lens, close to the rear bumper of their car when it was parked overnight in the road.

I can remember that during the 50s and 60s, owners sometimes stood those yellow paraffin lanterns (corporation type) fitted with a red lens, close to the rear bumper of their car when it was parked overnight in the road.

That was an alternative , did it have a white lens on the other side ?

AS far as i remember in the early 1970s the law was changed and it only became an offence to park at night without parking lights if you were facing the wrong way.

Until then you had to have a parking light even if you were facing the right way, if you think back some cars had a parking light built into the body, on four door cars it was usualy on the pillar between the doors.

Portable parking lights were also sold. (See link below)

The law was changed to reflect the big improvement in street lighting and the the reflective registration plates which were itnroduced in the late 1960's.

Even now most cars have a postion on the light switch which allows the front hedlight to be on side light and the rear light to light up both of these are only on the near side.

As for parking on the pavement it's an offence however together with the lighting issue the police dont have the resources to issue tickets.

Example of a portable parking light:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/vintage-ross-car-parking-light-/260703537852?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item3cb3244abc

I remember a news item a few years ago (presumably in the Star) about cars on Halifax Road, above Wadsley Bridge, in the 40 limit, getting done for parking without lights (after the law change allowing parking without lights in the 30 limit). Soon after, I remember seeing some of the cars being fited with the little combined front and rear parking light, to be clamped in a window.

As an aside, I remember parking a borrowed car that I'd not driven before (a big vauxhall coupe, in the mid 90s). As I got out, I realised that parking lights were on (front and rear sidelights, one side only). I didn't know how I'd turned them on and didn't know how to turn them off. I checked in the owners manual, looking in the contents for lights, parking lights etc etc but couldn't find anything. I finally found out (only because I kept asking people until someone knew) that it is set by the indicator stalk. The manual did say that the parking light is set using the stalk - but that's not much good if you are trying to look it up in ther index.

just like to add, london road, crossing near the peak of the hill... any thoughts?

Strangely enough outside a take-away and usualy has taxis parked outside if I am thinking correctly.

But then Taxis are above the law, or are they??

I remember the police knocking on doors in the 70s, trying to find the owner of a car to get him to turn it round.

If you have your vehicle hit at night whilst parked facing the wrong way according to the insurance companys you'll be liable.

We also received warning notices from the police for parking with one wheel on the grass (not even on the tarmac section) saying that it was an offence.

What will happen if some councils start turning off street lights at midnight when people park their vehicles facing the wrong direction or on the footpaths?

its still there but so filthy you can hardly see it at night