Giant steel football

A giant steel fist with its index and middle fingers raised would be better.

What is the one thing that Sheffield is world famous for STEEL. Some thing along the lines of steel monument dedicated to this fine city. Ask any body from any where in the world what is Sheffield is famous for the answer will be steel. I can remember as a young boy going to the seaside on the coach and coming back saying those words "are we home yet " and seeing those cooling towers i knew we were nearly home. To have a football is probably some councillors idea thinking that it will look good. If we are to have a piece of sculpture it should be to reminds us of not only our heritage and history but also our future in a fine city.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

its football, its crap and i said nothing about derek dooley, although come to mention it, he made millions playing the most pointless sport ever and that makes him important how?

You clearly know nothing about football or Derek Dooley so why get out of your pram about it?

who cares? the only people to see it are the ones driving THRU Sheffield going up the M1

Would be an embarrassment really - with no Premiership side for most of the past decade (and with no chance of that changing in the foreseeable future), Sheffield can hardly be considered a football city compared to London, Manchester and Liverpool.

Something steel related would be much more appropriate - a bigger version of the Vulcan statue from on top of Town Hall perhaps?

What is the one thing that Sheffield is world famous for STEEL. Some thing along the lines of steel monument dedicated to this fine city. Ask any body from any where in the world what is Sheffield is famous for the answer will be steel. I can remember as a young boy going to the seaside on the coach and coming back saying those words "are we home yet " and seeing those cooling towers i knew we were nearly home. To have a football is probably some councillors idea thinking that it will look good. If we are to have a piece of sculpture it should be to reminds us of not only our heritage and history but also our future in a fine city.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Seconded!:)

You clearly know nothing about football or Derek Dooley so why get out of your pram about it?

Seconded. What a muppet.

sheffield fc have worked hard at their claim to be the oldest club in the world. therefore as well as being proud our steel heritage, we should be proud of being the birthplace of modern football..

its a steel football, what doesnt make sense?

incidentally, sheffield fc may play in dronfield at the moment but their plan is to move to Olive Grove, somewhere which figures heavily in the history of sheffield football

I thought the idea of it was to have a massive STEEL football?

Either way i think its a good thing. will make the city feel more modern and give it a bit of publicity.

Well it's going ahead anyway...they approved the plans on monday at a planning meeting at the Town Hall.

And said ball is being placed right next to the large block that says OUTO KUMPU on it, this reminding us that Sheffield's steel heritage, like many another UK business, has fallen prey to an international concern that cares nothing much for the city itself? Perhaps a monument to the decline of Forgemasters, with a certain N Clegg's name on it, would be a more suitable thing to erect?