What is people in Sheffield's problem with merge in turn lanes?

Hence why i pull my car out in to the second lane and travel at the same speed as the quing people then move back in so non of the cheeky barstools who are flying up the outside can push in!

Ditto - the only middle ground solution to a thread that's been done several times already on here ;)

Ditto - the only middle ground solution to a thread that's been done several times already on here ;)

Would you have the same commitment if a marked police car was trying to 'push in'??

I think not as you know its against the law to do what you are suggesting....

I do alot of driving, and in other cities its usually not a problem but in Sheffield people hate other people who use the merge in turn lanes, and try to block them merging in turn.

Examples A57 from parkway up the hill 2 lanes in rush hour one is jammed the other is free, but if you go up the right hand lane and try to merge, you get various re-actions from flashing, glares, beeping to people that intent on not letting you merge that they would rather ram you!!

A61 from at tankersley towards Sheffield, again heavy queing in rush hr, but if you dare go down the empty right lane (so not to block the roundabout) you get the same sort of reactions.

As stated in the highway code:134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Other cities, Leeds, Doncaster etc. do not seem to have this problem and people are more than willing to merge in turn, IMO this reduces congestion.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Never mind what the highway code says, you cant expect people who have been sitting for 10 mins, patiently waiting to get to the roundabout to then let somebody in who has come flying down the right hand lane. Only fair that you have to wait a while. I have done it myself and never expect to get let in straight away.

Its even worse when the right lane driver starts edging in front of your car uninvited, sticking the indicator on as a token gesture when they have already nearly taken your wheel arch off!

I experience this most evenings at Tankersley.The councill really needs to put a "use both lanes and merge in turn" sign up for the benefit of those who would rather queue right back to the roundabout and cause a hazard for the poor souls coming off the m1 slip lane.

I do alot of driving, and in other cities its usually not a problem but in Sheffield people hate other people who use the merge in turn lanes, and try to block them merging in turn.

Examples A57 from parkway up the hill 2 lanes in rush hour one is jammed the other is free, but if you go up the right hand lane and try to merge, you get various re-actions from flashing, glares, beeping to people that intent on not letting you merge that they would rather ram you!!

A61 from at tankersley towards Sheffield, again heavy queing in rush hr, but if you dare go down the empty right lane (so not to block the roundabout) you get the same sort of reactions.

As stated in the highway code:134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Other cities, Leeds, Doncaster etc. do not seem to have this problem and people are more than willing to merge in turn, IMO this reduces congestion.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

That is clearly for when two lanes merge into one - not when there is a lane for overtaking and turning right.

Now in the situation you mention - Tankersley - I will use the R/H lane and do a full circle and a bit of the roundabout rather than trying to jump lanes - so much easier.

Oh and since when has Doncaster been a city?

There is such an easy solution to these merge in lanes and that's to have each lane controlled by trafficlights at peak periods. I know there is a huge cost involved in this but it would save so much hassle!

The cars on the outside aren't traveling at a very low speed they are flying up the outside to push in.

The cars have merged at the bottom to keep the traffic flowing people going up the outside and PUSHING in is just slowing everyone else who has been waiting patiently.

Hence why i pull my car out in to the second lane and travel at the same speed as the quing people then move back in so non of the cheeky barstools who are flying up the outside can push in!

Lets hope your arrogant obstruction of a perfectly legal and usable lane gets you the fine that you deserve, or a ban would be even better.

Lets hope your arrogant obstruction of a perfectly legal and usable lane gets you the fine that you deserve, or a ban would be even better.

Agreed! People need to realise it is not pushing in by using a lane legally.

Would you have the same commitment if a marked police car was trying to 'push in'??

I think not as you know its against the law to do what you are suggesting....

no it isn't. You're supposed to 'merge in turn'. It's your turn just after the car you were alongside when arriving at the queue

I've taken the right hand lane on the A57 Handsworth-Woodhouse before, but it's bloody stupid to hurtle past a queue of traffic at speed on a bend and a hill, so I've done so slowly and courteously, and had no trouble being let in

For once we agree :hihi:

For once you made a factually correct post. ;)

Let me hope you're never in front of me trying to queue jump and obstructing me by trying to push in when I want to turn right.

Let me hope you're never in front of me trying to queue jump and obstructing me by trying to push in when I want to turn right.

Please feel free to explain how its queue jumping if cars are using BOTH lanes correctly??, the reason people get irate is because someone has had the sense to use the road correctly and they didn't, so it makes them feel silly, so rather than have a go at themselves, it makes them feel better to convince themselves that its the other car in the wrong!!