What is people in Sheffield's problem with merge in turn lanes?

Well, we could start with driving your car down operational bus lanes, and spray painting enforcement cameras.

Ahh, you have been cyber stalking me again, well done.

Lets see, Bus lane, nope none of my examples have these.

Bus lane camera's, nope none have them either.

Good try though, you can jog on now though......:thumbsup:

Oh, and on that matter, why do you have a problem with people getting annoyed with you in this scenario (not me, I would add) - when you are annoyed by bus drivers "using roads correctly" in exactly the same way? (http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=5990563&postcount=13)

Wow, you really are obsessed with me :loopy:

And again, totally irrelevant to my op, keep on topic please.

And again, totally irrelevant to my op, keep on topic please.

Sorry, I hadn't realised you were a mod :loopy: Just seems rather hypocritical that you begrudge people their right to be annoyed with you, whilst you are getting annoyed with people for doing effectively the same thing.

Sorry, I hadn't realised you were a mod :loopy: Just seems rather hypocritical that you begrudge people their right to be annoyed with you, whilst you are getting annoyed with people for doing effectively the same thing.

Totally different thread, totally different scenario, this is about the OP, if you have a problem with me, feel free to PM me.

Totally different thread, totally different scenario, this is about the OP, if you have a problem with me, feel free to PM me.

Except it's not a different scenario - you asserting it is different doesn't make it so. Believe me, I have no problem with you, just your argument, which is why I've posted here rather than PMed.

An example to show the idiocy of people who refuse to let you merge:

I recently tried to leave the M1 at J31, I was in a long queue in the left hand lane with a view to turning left at the roundabout. I noticed about 200yrds ahead a lorry was broken down in the lane I was in, I immediately indicated to pull into the right hand lane early to avoid this obstruction. The driver to my immediate right shot forward so I could not get in, the one just behind allowed a small gap, sped into the gap as soon as I started to move and then got aggressive when I looked in his direction.

The shows more about the state of mind of the people who queue than of the people who try to use the road correctly.

I'd like to know where exactly you're turning right and where you might be going on the A57 merge-in-turn which is what the OPs thread is about.

OP also mentioned Tankersley coming towards Sheffield where I sometimes turn right at the roundabout onto the Stocksbridge by pass.

An example to show the idiocy of people who refuse to let you merge:

I recently tried to leave the M1 at J31, I was in a long queue in the left hand lane with a view to turning left at the roundabout. I noticed about 200yrds ahead a lorry was broken down in the lane I was in, I immediately indicated to pull into the right hand lane early to avoid this obstruction. The driver to my immediate right shot forward so I could not get in, the one just behind allowed a small gap, sped into the gap as soon as I started to move and then got aggressive when I looked in his direction.

The shows more about the state of mind of the people who queue than of the people who try to use the road correctly.

Sounds like you tried to use the 'magic' indicator and cut someone up.

OP also mentioned Tankersley coming towards Sheffield where I sometimes turn right at the roundabout onto the Stocksbridge by pass.

It might not be clear on my op but the stretch I mean is from the roundabout upto where it merges into one, not the bit where it seperates into two again for the roundabout.

To those who advocate getting into the left lane as early as possibly would you change your driving habits if there were signs saying "Merge in turn 200 yards" followed by "Merge in turn now"? This is what they have on the dual carriageway between Ainley Top and Halifax and there is very rarely anyone preventing merging right at the point where two lanes become one.

Let me hope you're never in front of me trying to queue jump and obstructing me by trying to push in when I want to turn right.
Let's hope you rot in the queues you create

As stated in the highway code:134

You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.

Here lies the problem, merging in turn is recommended when coming across unexpected disruption.

It could be argued that the right hand lane on the particular road given in the OP is purely for overtaking slower moving traffic, similar to the Stocksbridge bypass.

So conducting an overtaking manoeuvre in the knowledge that it cannot be completed without causing another vehicle to brake or change direction is a little naughty.

DO NOT overtake where you might come into conflict with other road users. For example

approaching or at a road junction on either side of the road

where the road narrows

when approaching a school crossing patrol

between the kerb and a bus or tram when it is at a stop

where traffic is queuing at junctions or road works

when you would force another road user to swerve or slow down

at a level crossing

when a road user is indicating right, even if you believe the signal should have been cancelled. Do not take a risk; wait for the signal to be cancelled

stay behind if you are following a cyclist approaching a roundabout or junction, and you intend to turn left

when a tram is standing at a kerbside tram stop and there is no clearly marked passing lane for other traffic

Edited by SnailyBoy