What is people in Sheffield's problem with merge in turn lanes?

I bet your one of the numpties that uses the chevrons in the middle of the road too to turn right at Wentworth industrial estate?

No no, just on my way to Genocide

On the A57 at peak times driving down to the Normanton springs roundabout, its the drivers who leave a 50 yard gap between them and the car in front that cause all this chaos behind them.

The que would go so far back on the A57 if people didn't go up the outside and push the drivers waiting further back. It would be loads worse if there was the same number of drivers on the outside as there is on the inside due to the roundabout queing at the bottom. Its people who aren't aptient that go up the out side and push in similar to on a motorway where are road works and 2 lanes of quing traffic you always get one tosser who wants to get a extra few hundred yards and push in.

It would not be loads worse - or in fact ANY worse - because there would still be 50 cars (arbitrary number) in the queue, just 2 lanes of 25 instead of one lane of 50.

And again on the motorways you're supposed to merge in at the end. Merging in early is a false economy. You get the same number of people taking up a longer stretch of the road, and a whole lane going virtually unused. Can't you see that if people used all the lanes that were present, there'd be no such thing as 'tossers pushing in'. All you people who merge in too early create the empty lane those others are overtaking you in.

forget that, how about a campaign against middle lane drivers on the motorway?

They are totally ignorant of the law

It would not be loads worse - or in fact ANY worse - because there would still be 50 cars (arbitrary number) in the queue, just 2 lanes of 25 instead of one lane of 50.

And again on the motorways you're supposed to merge in at the end. Merging in early is a false economy. You get the same number of people taking up a longer stretch of the road, and a whole lane going virtually unused. Can't you see that if people used all the lanes that were present, there'd be no such thing as 'tossers pushing in'. All you people who merge in too early create the empty lane those others are overtaking you in.

OK, as one who waits in a queue and considers going up a merge lane a swift way of irritating everyone, (and this happens everwhere, not just Sheffield, I have noticed it more at roadworks on motorways when a lane gets blocked- there are always some bolshy drivers who leave it til the last minute to merge and they are often kept waiting by disgruntled queuers) if it makes no difference as you can only go through a particular point one by one, surely it is fairer to make a one line queue? How is it quicker to have two parallel lines that merge into one? SUrely the merging itself slows things down. It is only quicker for the odd person who comes round and gets in last minute, hence the idea that it's pushing in. I can see that the queue is longer and thinner, but how is having a fatter shorter queue more efficient? I love driving and am always thinking about the best way to do things and always use lanes the best way, so I'l genuinely interested in this.

Ah, you mean those who never enter lane 1 except when entering or leaving the motorway? They could do with a slap on the wrist and a little re-education. But it's when they go slower in lane 2 than the lorries in lane 1 that it really takes the biscuit :)

Agreed. What do they have against the left hand lane exactly?

OK, as one who waits in a queue and considers going up a merge lane a swift way of irritating everyone, (and this happens everwhere, not just Sheffield, I have noticed it more at roadworks on motorways when a lane gets blocked- there are always some bolshy drivers who leave it til the last minute to merge and they are often kept waiting by disgruntled queuers) if it makes no difference as you can only go through a particular point one by one, surely it is fairer to make a one line queue? How is it quicker to have two parallel lines that merge into one? SUrely the merging itself slows things down. It is only quicker for the odd person who comes round and gets in last minute, hence the idea that it's pushing in. I can see that the queue is longer and thinner, but how is having a fatter shorter queue more efficient? I love driving and am always thinking about the best way to do things and always use lanes the best way, so I'l genuinely interested in this.

It's not a matter of more efficient, it's a matter of less disruptive. If a queue gets so long that it blocks a previous junction, for example one where someone simply wants to 'cross' the line of traffic rather than join it, then that disruption could have been avoided by having a queue twice as wide and half as long. Each car still waits in the queue for the same length of time, but travels a shorter distance in that time, giving the illusion of it 'taking longer' than a single-lane queue.

To be honest, I rarely use lane 2 in these cases, because I know it annoys people who have joined a long queue in lane 1. But if the queue is so long that I basically have a choice between annoying people in the queue, or holding up people behind me who don't even want to go the same way, I'll get out of those people's way and use the second lane.

It's not a matter of more efficient, it's a matter of less disruptive. If a queue gets so long that it blocks a previous junction, for example one where someone simply wants to 'cross' the line of traffic rather than join it, then that disruption could have been avoided by having a queue twice as wide and half as long. Each car still waits in the queue for the same length of time, but travels a shorter distance in that time, giving the illusion of it 'taking longer' than a single-lane queue.

To be honest, I rarely use lane 2 in these cases, because I know it annoys people who have joined a long queue in lane 1. But if the queue is so long that I basically have a choice between annoying people in the queue, or holding up people behind me who don't even want to go the same way, I'll get out of those people's way and use the second lane.

Ok I can see that, thanks!

its like the bus lane from home base up chesterfield road, its only a bus lane for 4 hours a day, so i use it whilst everyone else queue's in the right lane, i'm using the lane correctly and if everyone else did the same then the queue would be less, but the glares i get are funny, i suspect its because they are to silly to think laterally , bit like in meadowhall when people were queueing for a cash machine and there was another just inside the bank clear, so i went to it, is that queue jumping??, no because as soon as i started to use it, some others in the original queue stood behind me

People should stop being sheep and think for themselves occasionally!!

This is one of my pet hates on the road!! I just can't understand the mentality of people thinking it is 'pushing in' by using the 'other lane'. Seriously, is the 2nd lane a bus lane on the right hand side on certain hours? There are two lanes for a reason, use them!! Last week, 4 cars, yes 4 cars accelerated to not let me in.

It is madness, people are willing to cause accidents in order to not let other people come into the merged lane?!?!?

I appreciate the bottle neck argument, but the bottom line is, if people used both lanes then there wouldn't be a huge que above and beyond!

A lot of motorists need re-educating. There are two lanes, there is no rule for the 'second lane' to be used on certain hours. Simplez.

If you think your a selfless thoughtful individual' who thinks about everyone else around you, quit your job go to some third world country and dedicate your time to people who need your help the most. Otherwise, learn the highway code and get over yourself.

rant over//