Blood, a nice gift!

Made 1 successful donation, the second one they struggled to find a vein and were suggesting maybe not try again.. when the needle went into the artery instead they said they would withdraw me as its not worth it... frustrating as i know its possible

not got any medical problems or anything

Could be a bit of a problem!!!!! Did they try the other arm???? I have a perfect tree trunk in my left arm - ideal for sticking a needle in!!!! But if they tried my right arm, there'd be a problem as even when "pumped up" the vein isn't visible!!!!!

:roll:

I give-up, if you (not you personally) don't want my blood, fine, that's your problem, not mine, just don't whine about there being too few donors.

Ok, I won't!!! :) :)

I wouldn't like to be on the front line, having to decide who can and who can't donate, it must feel like a fairly thankless task at times!!!!!

There's only so much time on a session to process each donor and to have to dig deeper and deeper into each criteria, such as "Where exactly did you have your tattoo done and did they sterilise the needles properly?" even if the donor knew the answer to that question!!!! It's much more time efficient simply to ask the question about tattoos and piercings in the last year...

Sorry, Bethsmummy, I seem to have hijacked your lovely "Thank you" thread!!!! :):cool::)

Could be a bit of a problem!!!!! Did they try the other arm???? I have a perfect tree trunk in my left arm - ideal for sticking a needle in!!!! But if they tried my right arm, there'd be a problem as even when "pumped up" the vein isn't visible!!!!!

Yeah, the one they tried was the better of the two... apparently couldn't feel the pulse until the needle was in either.

Thais not why I asked, I'm questioning why, in this day and age, a gay HIV- person who's been in a monogamous relationship for 10 years is still barred from donating ?
Why don't you go and ask the 'National Blood Transfusion Service' instead of intruding something controversial into a pleasant topic?

Please no more on the subject.

:roll:

I give-up, if you (not you personally) don't want my blood, fine, that's your problem, not mine, just don't whine about there being too few donors.

We won't...........

That's mad, asthma hasn't got anything to do with your blood, they seem to try as hard as possible to exclude as many people as possible, then moan they have no donors.

Like they exclude people who have a tattoo, but do they exclude people who work in an abattoir, or gardeners, or sewage workers, people who are more likely to have picked-up some kind of bug ?

They need to review it.

You seem to have a persecution complex.

Like they exclude people who have a tattoo, but do they exclude people who work in an abattoir, or gardeners, or sewage workers, people who are more likely to have picked-up some kind of bug ?

im covered in tattoo's and its never stopped me giving blood, just have to wait 12 months after having one done thats all.

Sorry, Bethsmummy, I seem to have hijacked your lovely "Thank you" thread!!!! :):cool::)

So have I, sorry.

That's mad, asthma hasn't got anything to do with your blood, they seem to try as hard as possible to exclude as many people as possible, then moan they have no donors.

They need to review it.

No, that's perfectly reasonable and was one reason I couldnt give blood intitally as well. IF you have uncontrolled asthma a sudden fall in blood pressure can cause quite significant problems so for the health of the donor they will not risk taking a unit.

it's an ideal temperature for some bacteria to grow, which is one reason why the arm-swabbing is thorough - to kill off any skin bacteria that may flourish.....!!

Ah right - I wondered why they used what smells like a combination of Bactine, iodine and floor bleach instead of just a simple alcohol wipe like for regular donation!

First time I went I didnt see her swabbing my arm as I was talking to the guy in the next chair - when I looked back after she had stuck me I saw this enourmous "bruise" and nearly died of fright until I remember smelling iodine and realising what it was.

Due to the Snow and Ice people haven't been able to give blood which has cause a huge shortage in the stocks of blood in the Sheffield area, collected blood only has a shelf life of 5 days meaning that regular donors are needed to ensure that a constant supply is available, at the monent things are really low and they need US to donate and help save lives!!!

The process is relitavely painless and easy and the blood that you donate will be replaced quickly, and full checks are carried out on your health and suitability are made before hand to ensure that you are well enough to give blood in the first place so theres nothing at all to worry about!

For those sat feeling guilty who have thought about giving blood but have'nt got round to it yet, theres still plenty of time to act on it so why not give the team a call now to discuss giving blood.....and for those interested or those who have'nt thought about it please take two minutes to visit the below website to see how you can help them!

Sheffields Blood donation centre is at:

Cathedral Court,

Church Street,

Sheffield,

S1 2GN

Tel: 0114 203 4703

Please visit http://www.blood.co.uk now for more information.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post, :thumbsup: