Most expensive chippy

Wasn't Minevra a cafe, not a chippy? The chippy on Flat St was the Friary.

Quite the opposite from the most expensive chippy, when I was a kid in the 70's I recall a very cheap (even in them days) chippy near Hollinsend, somewhere close to Alnwick Rd near the Hollin Bush pub.

On 16/01/2022 at 20:45, Jim117 said:

Back in the 80’s when I was a financially challenged youth my treat was chips and fish cake in a sit down chippy in town . I can’t remember what it was called but it was round the corner from the Classic cinema under the building overhang where the bus stops are.

Tony’s had sit down, as did Minerva.    Which is why I thought it was this one you meant {did chips).  But War Pig you are right, the friary was the chip shop (no seating) further on from the Minerva.

Edited by NAP
Correction

2 hours ago, WarPig said:

Quite the opposite from the most expensive chippy, when I was a kid in the 70's I recall a very cheap (even in them days) chippy near Hollinsend, somewhere close to Alnwick Rd near the Hollin Bush pub.

Been to that chippy from school, maybe 1980, was it becketts or was that manor top? I remember chips for 7p, but that sounds ridiculously cheap so I'm doubting myself.

2 hours ago, WarPig said:

Do you mean on a side street on the right as you drove up to the Hollin Bush? I remember when I worked at a pub we would ring that chippy  up about closing time then one of us would drive and collect them about 11pm and eat them in the pub. This was about 47 years ago.   Just looked on G Earth and think it was Stanhope Road.

Edited by iansheff

1 hour ago, Bargepole23 said:

Been to that chippy from school, maybe 1980, was it becketts or was that manor top? I remember chips for 7p, but that sounds ridiculously cheap so I'm doubting myself.

I'm sure Becketts is/was at Manor Top. I also recall chips at the Holinsend chippy being something ridiculous like 5p and recall may parents talking about how cheap they were at the time.

Becketts is still at the Manor top, have a fish cake from there fairly regularly. Regards pricing I can’t speak for Becketts as I didn’t grow up in that area, I grew up in Heeley. Our local chippy was Mitchells (aka Charlie’s) which was on Spencer Road where Heeley farm now stands. Chips were 5p a bag and a fish cake was the same price. Diagonally opposite on the road junction was Drakes corner shop where a pint of milk also cost 5p. How times have changed.

2 hours ago, Jim117 said:

Our local chippy was Mitchells (aka Charlie’s) which was on Spencer Road where Heeley farm now stands. Chips were 5p a bag and a fish cake was the same price. Diagonally opposite on the road junction was Drakes corner shop where a pint of milk also cost 5p. How times have changed.

Old photo of Spencer Rd

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1515537638818843&set=gm.3160395374285658

Edited by WarPig

17 hours ago, iansheff said:

Do you mean on a side street on the right as you drove up to the Hollin Bush? I remember when I worked at a pub we would ring that chippy  up about closing time then one of us would drive and collect them about 11pm and eat them in the pub. This was about 47 years ago.   Just looked on G Earth and think it was Stanhope Road.

Yes there was a chippy on stanhope plus another around the corner on hollindsend rd, on the left hand side on your way up to the hollindsend pub.  Both chippys were situated in the terraced house blocks. They were only little, the one on alnwick was far bigger.

32 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Yes there was a chippy on stanhope plus another around the corner on hollindsend rd, on the left hand side on your way up to the hollindsend pub.  Both chippys were situated in the terraced house blocks. They were only little, the one on alnwick was far bigger.

Left hand side one changed into a Chinese 

3 hours ago, bassett one said:

dont you remember chippy jims ?

Was that the one on Valley Road by any chance?

48 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Left hand side one changed into a Chinese 

Your right, I had forgot about that.