Most expensive chippy

I would rather cook my own chips and fish, its easy to make a batter rather than pay seven quid ect at places like whitbys ect.  :roll:

37 minutes ago, Donside 6 said:

Is it a Yorkshire fishcake or a Sheffield fishcake, I used to travel all over Yorkshire with my job, can't remember seeing our fishcakes or even roe on any menu's elsewhere. 

thats a hard one to answer,went to bakewell chippy next to the police station asked for a fish cake and he said battered or breaded,large chips or small chips,sounded like a quiz,anyway said battered and large chips,then realised there were to many chips,but i am sure they were cooked in lard or dripping anyway they were nice,dixons in greenhill sadly bordered up now where top class,cranns are now a chinese,loved jack walkers end of broadfield road opp the pub they were good as well,he bought a bungalow at dronfield when he retired called dun chipping.

On 16/01/2022 at 20:45, Jim117 said:

Back in the 80’s when I was a financially challenged youth my treat was chips and fish cake in a sit down chippy in town . I can’t remember what it was called but it was round the corner from the Classic cinema under the building overhang where the bus stops are.

Think this was called The Minerva

On 16/01/2022 at 20:45, Jim117 said:

Back in the 80’s when I was a financially challenged youth my treat was chips and fish cake in a sit down chippy in town . I can’t remember what it was called but it was round the corner from the Classic cinema under the building overhang where the bus stops are.

The one on Commercial St around the corner from Fitzallan Sq? Wasn't it called Tonys?

I never went in but remember seeing it. No longer there now.

Edited by WarPig

tonys was owned by a top guy who i knew quite well,he owned several chippys inc the market,his family still have several all using his family homemade batter reciepe and cooking in traditional dripping ,he was a good man and his legacy lives on with his family traditions.

Well whether it was called Tony’s or Minerva I don’t mind. I’m just glad other people remember it, thus proving to myself that I’m not suffering early onset dementia!

3 minutes ago, Jim117 said:

Well whether it was called Tony’s or Minerva I don’t mind. I’m just glad other people remember it, thus proving to myself that I’m not suffering early onset dementia!

I remember it.....was only £1.20 for a giant chip butty

Here are some photos below...

IMG_3050.PNG.5bdd76b81af946f18c9c17d3cb0

EXAzJHsXkAAxTzn.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

I remember it.....was only £1.20 for a giant chip butty

Here are some photos below...

IMG_3050.PNG.5bdd76b81af946f18c9c17d3cb0

EXAzJHsXkAAxTzn.jpg

That's Flat Street,

Guest makapaka
19 hours ago, NAP said:

Think this was called The Minerva

There’s another thread on here about the friary and the Minerva being owned by two Greek Cypriots - forsea and michael (michalis) in the 70s and 80s.

We are still in contact with michalis and his family and went to his sons wedding around 8 or so years ago. A lovely family. 

yes the minerva was next to the bus station ,tonys was on commercial street and in the old market,the family still have a few chippys inc the new market,good days,good chippys,thats what our country was made of good wholesome grub,in the war years servicemen/women got free fish/chips if in uniform,any one remember chippy jims at heeley top fish/chips,or dixons at greenhill or any other gooduns

2 hours ago, St Petre said:

That's Flat Street,

What's your point? 🤨

Tony’s was the one meant by ‘round the corner from the Classic  where the building overhangs and there were bus stops’ I think. Bizarrely The Minerva was also ‘round the corner’ and ‘where the building overhangs and there were bus stops’.   Minerva Flat St.      Tony’s Commercial St.