Fox House Meteorite??

Thanks for the links. That's definately what I saw, and now we all know exactly what it was. Sleep well, everybody, there's nothing to fear...

i saw it too while i was fitting christmas lights on the guys roof...it was so quick.and bright..so what was it????

Santa and his reindeers on a trial run ? :)

We were travelling North on the M1 just past junction 31 when we saw it flash across from East to West. We guessed it must be a meteor but I knew i'd find something on here! Never seen anything quite like it before.

also seen in wincobank at the same time.

Larger shooting stars are not uncommon. I've seen three big enough to produce fireballs like the one you describe. Tonnes of meteoritic material must fall every day, but most of it vaporises. Even the stuff that makes it to earth generally won't be noticed, as once it's slowed down by the atmosphere, it just becomes a little falling stone, which could land right next to you and you'd not notice.