Fox House Meteorite??

I was driving home this evening (Wed 8th Dec) and I had just come up from Froggat going toward Fox House when a bright light flashed across the sky from behind me. It looked like a really bright rocket firework, going towards Fox House. After a couple of seconds it seemed to break up and I briefly saw some bits glow red before nothing. It was at at 5:35pm. Anyone else see anything?

James

i saw it too.

probably not a chinese lanten unless it had an engine

its the start of an alien invasion, there will be triffids on the lawn tomorrow morning

Edited by andyofborg

I've seen chnese lantens, and none have been that fast or bright!

Glad I wasn't the only one...

I saw it too - driving back to Sheffield from Chesterfield along the A61. Seemed too low to be a meteorite but didn't look like a firework - really bright and fast, moving across the sky.

that would be cool, did it drop on the golf course then?

I saw it too at Banner Cross, low in the sky falling in direction of Endcliffe Park. Not a Chinese Lantern. Very bright and burning up is how I would describe it, like a large bright shooting star.

I've seen one shooting star before, but that just looked like a normal sized star moving quickly through the sky for a second or so. This was something else - much brighter and lower, although if it could be seen from the A61 too it must have been higher than it looked. Calling it a 'fireball' might be pushing it a bit, but just a bit.

I'm currently in Rochdale and saw it at that exact time as I got off the M62!

MUCH higher than it looked, then, and perhaps I shouldn't have called this thread the 'Fox House Meteorite'!

Edited by Tinhob