Winter tyres on 4x4's?

I'm debating wether to buy a 4x4, but do you still need to fit winter tyres on them to get around in the snow?

They are as good as the tyres. Some of the "soft roaders" are little better than 2 wheel drive because they have massive road tyres to make them more confortable on the school run.

I just love watching the folk who bought crossovers like the Qashqai. I think some of them think they have a 4 by 4.

Get a Land Rover and stick on the agricultural tyres the military use. You'd get over the Snake in 3 foot of snow.

Cheers for reply, its just that I need to get to work cos i work in a hospital and when the buses are off i can't get to work cos its too far to walk.

I've got a corsa sri cdti, and i'm weighing up the options wether to buy a 4x4 or will winter tyres be enough?

winter tyres on some "normal " cars can be sufficient.I can vouch for 4x4 on normal tyres being just as useless as a chocolate fire guard in these conditions.

So, winter tyres are still needed on a 4x4. So maybe its not worth buying one just for winter. What if you kept winter tyres on the 4x4 all year? Would winter tyres get me around in my corsa on snow and ice?

Cheers for reply, its just that I need to get to work cos i work in a hospital and when the buses are off i can't get to work cos its too far to walk.

I've got a corsa sri cdti, and i'm weighing up the options wether to buy a 4x4 or will winter tyres be enough?

I'd go for the winter tyres option. Get a pair of 2nd hand steel wheels and stick em on. Bloody sight cheeper than a 4 by 4. The point is a 4 by 4 is not going to get you past a load of 2 wheel drive cars that are stuck in the deep stuff.

You might also look at getting tyre socks.

Edited by oldprune

My neighbour has got his Honda Type R out and to work through all the snow using tyre socks.

This is a car that has trouble in the rain usually , yet it apparently breezed past a stranded Audi 4x4.

Nope... you'd look daft with no car and just winter tyres unless you're Michelin man! (Bibendum)

4 by 4's are OK so long as long as they're tannalised and have no knots in! (still think you'll look pretty daft though!) :loopy::D

So I need new wheels as well as tyres? Will the tyres fit on my existing wheels? Sorry about all the questions! What are snow gloves?

So I need new wheels as well as tyres? Will the tyres fit on my existing wheels? Sorry about all the questions! What are snow gloves?

Look on ebay and find a pair of 2nd hand wheels. That way you keep your ordinary tyres for when the snow has gone. Snow gloves/socks are fabric covers that can be fitted over the existing wheels and tyres and give grip like winter tyres would. You just slip them on when you hit deep snow. Cost about £40 a pair.

Just leave the winter tyres on all year.

Just leave the winter tyres on all year.

A Ha! That was gonna be my next question! Thats a good idea that i've been thinking of if I buy a 4x4.