Problems with the 88/83 08.12.10

i went for the bus this morning at 07:55 to catch the bus to get college for 09:00 and waited for 40 minutes until 08:35 and only one 88 went past (which was full) and did'nt stop. I gave up waiting because i would have been late to college and get sent home if i am more than 15 minutes late, i was just wondering if its been like this all week or have i just been unlucky this morning... do i need to go for the bus at 07:30 tommorow to get to college by 09:30 ?

mods: please don't move this thread it is relating to a specific incident

I can understand your frustration, earlier this year I had to rely on this bus, even though it's advertised as being every 10 mins I would regularly have to wait over a hour only for it to drive past full

Twice this week I have waited an hour for the 88, the drivers blame Ecclesall Rd. Late for work again today because of their service :-(

i went for the bus this morning at 07:55 to catch the bus to get college for 09:00 and waited for 40 minutes until 08:35 and only one 88 went past (which was full) and didn't stop. I gave up waiting because i would have been late to college and get sent home if i am more than 15 minutes late, i was just wondering if its been like this all week or have i just been unlucky this morning... do i need to go for the bus at 07:30 tommorow to get to college by 09:30 ?

The answer is no you don't need to go for the bus at 07:30 as usually the 88's are reliable but for the last two days they have been running 15-30mins late. This is because everyone else has been leaving to work earlier and the busses then hit a wall of traffic on Barnsley Road in both direcftions making then horribly late. Its taken me on the 88's, 87's and the 265 from Ecclesfield to town between an hour to an hour and half to get to work and the same conming home. The bus will be full when it gets to you because its picked us up at the northern end of the route but the one behind can usually fit you on.

At the end of the day the bus cannot fly over the traffic and with people blocking up the junctions there is nothing the driver can do except radio the depot who may instruct them to run short to town or Hunters Bar and turn round to make up time. Happening a lot this week. Its just one of those things.

Edited by stephenr

i'm catching the bus at hunters bar, i'll just have to walk if i'm still at the bus stop at 20 past 8 tomorrow morning, just a shame when my travelling expenses are paid for.

i just spent another half an hour waiting at the same bus stop and still no sign of a bus

You should try the 52, Im used to waiting more than 30 minutes for a bus thats run by both companies and suppose to be every 7 minutes but today was awful, I needed to get from the wicker to the op of west street quickly, it took 10 minutes to get to where the First drivers change and after another 25 minutes with no driver, no heating and the doors open I was the 20th (ish) person to abandon it and decide walking is more effcient.

I arrived late incidentally.

You should try the 52, Im used to waiting more than 30 minutes for a bus thats run by both companies and suppose to be every 7 minutes but today was awful, I needed to get from the wicker to the op of west street quickly, it took 10 minutes to get to where the First drivers change and after another 25 minutes with no driver, no heating and the doors open I was the 20th (ish) person to abandon it and decide walking is more effcient.

I arrived late incidentally.

You want to try living on the 81 route no buses going up Greystones Road for eight days. Apparentley today the service is running normal (every 1/2 hour) however the 5.22 and 5.52 from Angel Street never turned up although nobody had informed travel line. I the hour at the bus stop there was 7 83/88s and four 82. First Transport the worst bus operater and the 81 Route the worst route in Sheffield.

I've just had to wait over an hour for an 87 that are supposed to be every 10 minutes and that was in sheffield centre.

i went for the bus this morning at 07:55 to catch the bus to get college for 09:00 and waited for 40 minutes until 08:35 and only one 88 went past (which was full) and did'nt stop. I gave up waiting because i would have been late to college and get sent home if i am more than 15 minutes late, i was just wondering if its been like this all week or have i just been unlucky this morning... do i need to go for the bus at 07:30 tommorow to get to college by 09:30 ?

I've just had to wait over an hour for an 87 that are supposed to be every 10 minutes and that was in sheffield centre.

most buses are completely messed up this week. 88's are usually on time but traffic is for some reason horrendous at the moment. as for the 87's i was driving them today and was nearly an hour late when i got to low edges so finished nearly 45mins late:( will be glad when it all gets back to normal

i waited for the 87 around 4.30 for half hour from longley college to herries rd...and 5 went past together towards lane top ????