Why do I need Drivers?

Just wondering when you have no drivers installed but sound, graphics, wireless all work.

Would you still recommend installing a sound, graphics, and wireless driver?

Whats the thinking behind them.

Win 7 have a lot of drivers inbuilt in it but there is nothing better than the proper ones

In 5 years time the drivers in win 7 may still work but the drivers will be old and not work correctly

thats because your sound,graphics and wireless are all probably on your motherboard and is included in the motherboard drivers during setup of your pc, and you can still upgrade them aswell

In 5 years time the drivers in win 7 may still work but the drivers will be old and not work correctly

This doesn't makes sense - drivers wont stop working just because they're old.

But in answer to the question - you already do have drivers installed - Windows and Linux come with lots of drivers already - and if you buy a PC the manufacturer will have put the correct drivers on anyway. Even Mac's have drivers, usually specific to the machine, but also some general ones - eg about 3GB of printer drivers - this allows you to plug in just about any printer and have it work straight away.

Edited by freezer

This doesn't makes sense - drivers wont stop working just because they're old.

But in answer to the question - you already do have drivers installed - Windows and Linux come with lots of drivers already - and if you buy a PC the manufacturer will have put the correct drivers on anyway. Even Mac's have drivers, usually specific to the machine, but also some general ones - eg about 3GB of printer drivers - this allows you to plug in just about any printer and have it work straight away.

My error I missed the word may out "and may not work correctly"

how many times have people had things Sound/Graphics ect not work properly and by installing the latest drivers the fault is corrected

My error I missed the word may out "and may not work correctly"

how many times have people had things Sound/Graphics ect not work properly and by installing the latest drivers the fault is corrected

true the latest games and applications demand our systems to run a peak efficiency and the only way to do this without updating the hardware is to update to the latest drivers

Thanks for the replies, I was asking because I got a new laptop and it comes with to much useless softwares installed.

So I installed win 7 fresh, Before I had installed any drivers most things seem to working fine so I will only update when needed.

Touchpad and FN keys wont working so I've only installed their drivers and work fine now.