Sheffield Pyjama Jump

I used to be on poly rag early/mid eighties.

PJ was the best day/night in the year.

On my first, I got asked to dance three times by blokes being sheepish. I was fully made up, had long hair and quite a pretty boy back then:D The look on their faces when I said 'I think not' was classic.

One bloke actually grabbed my meat and two veg, then made a hasty exit saying 'sorry mate I thought you was a lass'.

When did PJ finish?

Originally posted by the_nelson

if you want some really interesting stories come into The Nelson!

Myself and my ass. manager Pete were both in Rag, and used to organise/run Pyjama Jump. I remember the first year the trams went online for PJ and people were surfing the trams. Got called into the Sheff Uni Union Presidents office (with police in attendence), we got such a bollocking for that one!

I remember yourself and Pete being in RAG committee circa 93/4/5 time when I used to work for the Union. (Oh my God did I really DJ those cheesey student clubnight discos) There was also another comittee member called (can I say hard drinking type?) Clive who also had some interesting stories about Pyjama Jump.....now I wonder what happened to him...

I can just about remember DJ'ing one of the Pajama Jump nights around 1988 at club in town and it was the most fantastic experience ever....you would not believe what students can get up to after 30 pints of lager each......mega fun with a BIG FFFF...the number of bouncers they laid on for that event was frightening, masses of them..

A truly legendary event that SHeffield has missed a lot I think, but it did start to get very out of hand year after year. I think somebody died once of alcohol abuse during the event and that really put it on future review. To go into Sheffield on PJ night was to risk your very actual sanity and push your tolerance levels to the limit (no pun intended fondly remembered Limit club). I wish there was some film of a PJ......someoneshould have done a fly on the wall documentary, it would be a real local historic gem these days.

You see students partying hard in 2005, but my God, this is NOTHING compared to a PJ back in the late 80;'s and early 90's.

Was it the biggest ticketed party in Europe or something???

it was so good. I remember staying in totty towers . I had to pay my way :D it was so good.

Originally posted by themagicwand

Yes, they were great times! It's a pity they had to put a stop to them. A victim of these PC times perhaps?

Wasn't it meningitis that did for it in the end?

There seemed to be a death every year, but that wasn't going to stop tens of thousands of students having a damned good night out ;)

Only made the last PJ, but what a great night.

Ah, the memories...

I went to three (1979, 1980 and 1981 - that dates me!) - but I know a couple of guys who went to TEN each!

alas, I only have the photo's prior to going out to them to remind me that I actually went to any... awesome nights of cross-dressing mayhem :-)

What time of year do these pyjama jumps go ahead.Or do they no longer happen?

They no longer take place. The last one was in 97.

Memories, memories . . . . very vague memories!

I took part in 3 from 87 to 90 and they were the 3 best nights I have ever had ever.

I had a special pyjama jump nightie which I used every year with stockings and suspenders.

Started drinking at about 6pm and didn't really stop until 3/4am.

We also had to queue for club tickets a few weeks before which was a good night out in itself. Straight from Cairo jacs to the queue at Collegiate at about 3am until it opened at 9am. Thats in November!

One year didn't manage to get any tickets so 3 of us just went round the back of Roxyy's and each paid the bouncer on the fire exit a fiver to get in. he must have made a fotunr that night. It was complete carnage inside with acts goingon that were illegal in most countries. I was 'set upon' by a nun within 5 steps of the door. I don't even want to mention what was happening in the toilets!

I ended up in some nurses accommodation off West Street and then had to get home in the morning dresses in a floral nightie! I got a few funny looks walking along West Street at 9am trying desperately to find a taxi!

I had some of the best nights ever experienced on PJump 94-97! Didn't realise we'd been at the last ever in 97, it's a tragedy that it was stopped although this probably averted a few tragedies.

Many, many funny memories and still have many photos of my fellow Flat 1 Woodvale Flats 1994, Endcliffe Cresc(which is alas no more!) on our first PJump dressed up ready to go out but failing to believe that anyone else would have dared to wear women's underwear on the streets of Broomhill! Little did we know that Broomhill was already full of 1000's of ****** up cross dressed students.

We're all still the best of friends and when we meet up the old stories still come out from time to time. Could not believe it when we entered the Fox and Duck tried to battle way to loo and got snogged 20 times! This is the life I thought.

Brilliant times.

(by Jemson's wife he thinks this sounds too girly)