Sheffield best real ale pubs

Shame that so few of them could really be classed as "locals".

What is it with many real ale drinkers that they're happy with a real ale ghetto but seem to avoid their locals like the plague?

Well my "local" is The Florist.....and it's a bag of toss. So I go to proper pubs instead that serve a wide range of different ales at reasonable prices.

Well my "local" is The Florist.....and it's a bag of toss. So I go to proper pubs instead that serve a wide range of different ales at reasonable prices.

Since when did "proper" pubs serve a wide range of ales?

Back in the day the Rose used to serve good hand pulled Stones, Cottage and Palm good Tetleys. And did the "real ale" drinkers support their local - no - they went to the latest place that sold summat new.

I've been sold so much flat garbage in the KIT (but told "that's how the brewery recommend it" - ie we can't be arsed but most real ale drinkers will sup owt out of hand pumps) in the company of beer tickers.

Keep the campaign for a decent pint going in local communities.

Trouble is the Stones,Smiths and rest of beer the so called locals serve is absolute crap,Fox at Beighton must be 500yds from my house and you can get their so called ale at £1.80 but havn't been in for 3 years cos its dross,would rather travel and enjoy the beer.

Since when did "proper" pubs serve a wide range of ales?

Back in the day the Rose used to serve good hand pulled Stones, Cottage and Palm good Tetleys. And did the "real ale" drinkers support their local - no - they went to the latest place that sold summat new.

I've been sold so much flat garbage in the KIT (but told "that's how the brewery recommend it" - ie we can't be arsed but most real ale drinkers will sup owt out of hand pumps) in the company of beer tickers.

Keep the campaign for a decent pint going in local communities.

I couldn't agree more. I was quite happy when there was one decent pint in each pub (if you were lucky) and they pulled loads of it through so it was always spot on. In West Yorks they used to serve marvellous Tetley's (which no longer exists), round here it was (occasionally) a nice pint of Stones (also long gone). Or two breweries I used to like were Shipstone's and Home both from Nottm.

Now I look at the pump and it describes a beer from 'somewhere South' (let's say Ruddle's Bitter for example) and I wonder whether this is progress? It's nice, but I miss the connection between the region and the beer. I'm happy to drink southern beer in its homeland but do I want it here rather than a local brew?