Anyone experience frozen diesel problems??

as it got biofuel in it iv had a gallon some gave me to try..i looked the other day and the cold sent it like glue.....
Thats why I changed my filter the other week, the fuel I had went globular like one of those wax lamps :(

Diesel dosn`t freeze. Fail.

Below about -32c it might freeze, but above that it is known as 'gelling'. It might as well have frozen though because it isn't going to get through the injectors and ignite.

as it got biofuel in it iv had a gallon some gave me to try..i looked the other day and the cold sent it like glue.....

I reckon that's cooking oil, not proper biodiesel.

Though cooking oil counts as biodiesel for tax purposes.

update, thought i would let you guys know incase anyone else suffers from this....

got the AA out and after some thought by the patrol man, he thought the fuel pump had gone but after checking and looking around the engine bay he noticed a plug was loose and wasn't sitting correctly which went to the camshaft sensor, he held it tight and it started, so he has taped it and its firing up nicely now...:)

not sure if i needed them new glow plugs or if this sensor was causing the slow start up on cold mornings, as ever since its been cold its taken a while to start??

BTW the AA guy did say diesel should'nt freeze in these conditions but he said its possible.

top service from the AA

Glad you got it going Shabba.

My diesel started first flick of the key at 6.30am this morning and bear in mind, last night was the coldest night we have had for a while. All i am saying with that, is i doubt with the additives in diesel, we would see a 'fuel freeze' in this country unless it gets exceptionally cold (colder than we have been having)

One thing i would recommend with Diesels is to make sure they are serviced at the stated interval times and never ignore it.. With petrol, you can get away with missing services and the vehicle will still run reasonably well.. With diesels, the service is probably the most important thing regarding reliable running.

Keep a diesel well serviced and it should run problem free until the wheels fall off.

owing to a news report recently

modern diesel does not freeze, when i was a kid my dad had a lorry and he was forever having a fire under the tank

after checking and looking around the engine bay he noticed a plug was loose and wasn't sitting correctly which went to the camshaft sensor, he held it tight and it started, so he has taped it and its firing up nicely now...

Such are the joys of modern engines: "Computer says no..." ;)

We've been getting -10 temperatures this week and mine has been a bit harder to start.

Diesel dosn`t freeze. Fail.

Everything apart from helium freezes solid if you get it cold enough - you fail.

We've been getting -10 temperatures this week and mine has been a bit harder to start.

Bear in mind the oil is cold, and the battery not up to full efficiency. I've a 96 Astra diesel at 127k on the same injectors and still starts reasonably well. A quick way to check the glow plugs is to detach the leads and measure (with suitable meter) resistance to earth which, on mine, is around 0.3 ohm on each plug.

If it starts and then stops it's the diesel waxing up and not going through the filter.

Change the filter.

Put an approved additive in the fuel tank.

You can take out the filter altogether until things warm up.