Anyone experience frozen diesel problems??

Cant you get one of those cup heaters that are 12 volt and drop it down the tank and warm it up ?

or is there a syphon filter in the neck of the tank to stop this ?

You know the sort of thing I mean, the element thing that goes in a cup ?

I know it sounds dangerous but it is diesel and there's no sparks or flames or anything involved so no reason why it would not work and be safe is there?

Where did you fill up with diesel recently?

The quantity of ethanol and other additives to lower the waxing point varies depending on where the diesel is sold, just like it varies in petrol to change the flash point in hotter or colder climates.

Could that account for how it's waxed?

Other than that, could it have got water in it somehow? Anything which has allowed condensation to form or water to drip in could make ice crystals form, which can accelerate the waxing process.

All fuel types generate condensation within the tank, petrol vehicls however simply burn it off whereas diesels need huge fuel filters to collect the moisture as it travels to the injectors.

One of the reasons why i think the OP should check the filter if it dosent fire in the morning.

Cant you get one of those cup heaters that are 12 volt and drop it down the tank and warm it up ?

or is there a syphon filter in the neck of the tank to stop this ?

You know the sort of thing I mean, the element thing that goes in a cup ?

I know it sounds dangerous but it is diesel and there's no sparks or flames or anything involved so no reason why it would not work and be safe is there?

Before the additives were..erm.. added years ago, it was not uncommon to see truck drivers lighting a small fire underneath their fuel tanks to 'thaw' out the fuel....

Imagine 'Elf and safety seeing that happen now :D

Don't think Diesel actually freezes, it turns waxy so won't go through the system.

It doesn't freeze in the same clear-cut manner as water does, but "freezing" is still the best word to describe what happens to the stuff.

And I always believed that the critical temperature was about minus twenty, but I've never had reason to check it out for sure.

All fuel types generate condensation within the tank, petrol vehicls however simply burn it off whereas diesels need huge fuel filters to collect the moisture as it travels to the injectors.

One of the reasons why i think the OP should check the filter if it dosent fire in the morning.

Before the additives were..erm.. added years ago, it was not uncommon to see truck drivers lighting a small fire underneath their fuel tanks to 'thaw' out the fuel....

Imagine 'Elf and safety seeing that happen now :D

As well as lighting a fire to warm the diesel you had to change the fuel filter where the derv used to turn into somethink akin to vaseline.

We used to buddy up to buy a good pair of jump leads because the cheap ones just melted as you cranked the engine to pull fresh derv through.

bought the diesel from savacentre or esso cant be exactly sure but i filled up about 2 weeks ago.

I will look at the fuel filter tomorrow if i dont have any joy.

cheers guys

"Like most fuels, diesel is a mix of hydrocarbons, and the components have different freezing points. For Number 2 diesel, as the ambient temperatures drop toward 32 degrees F (0 degrees C), it begins to cloud, due to the paraffin in the fuel solidifying. As the temperatures drop below 32 F, the molecules combine into solids, large enough to be stopped by the filter. This is known as the gel point, and generally occurs about 15 degrees F (-9.5 degrees C) below the cloud point.

This wax then forms a coating on the filter which results in a loss of engine power. The same thing happens on starting an engine when the temperature is below freezing. The filter becomes almost instantly coated with wax - usually, enough fuel gets through to allow the engine to idle, but not attain operating RPM. There are two common ways to overcome this: one is a diesel additive, the other is a fuel heater.

In Alaska and other colder climates, lorries are running regularly at -51 degrees or lower, so as you see, it depends on additives and heating. But to freeze - as in turning solid - you would need laboratory conditions; nature cannot go cold enough to freeze to a low enough temperature".

Wiki

it started this morning but conked out straight away, so not sure what it is. seems like a fuel problem!!

It never hurts to change your filters.
Only changed mine few weeks back and I haven't been able to start since the snow started :(

Bought some heater plugs, wrong ones :( They have a longer reach

Looks like I am walking it Monday morning, will leave the battery on charge at home all day in hope I can get some life back into it.

it started this morning but conked out straight away, so not sure what it is. seems like a fuel problem!!

Frozen hydrocarbons having blocked the fuel filter, preventing the diesel from getting into the engine, would cause that - I think - but then, there are probably a hundred and one other things I haven't thought of that would also cause it.

my cars not firing up after having a mechanic check it over and put in new glow plugs its still not firing, he said its due to the diesel being frozen in the tank!!

anyone had this problem and anyway of sorting it??

thanks

what car is it discos have a water trap up by the rear wheel arch they freeze up...best to take em off..

as it got biofuel in it iv had a gallon some gave me to try..i looked the other day and the cold sent it like glue.....