Anyone experience frozen diesel problems??

my cars not firing up after having a mechanic check it over and put in new glow plugs its still not firing, he said its due to the diesel being frozen in the tank!!

anyone had this problem and anyway of sorting it??

thanks

Put some unleaded petrol in it at a ratio of 50:1 Diesel:petrol.

My diesel's been alright, other night may have come close to freezing up as thermom in car read -9. think diesel freezes at -12°c.

Put some unleaded petrol in it at a ratio of 50:1 Diesel:petrol.

I would be very wary of doing this.

At one time, this mix of Petrol/Diesel was a common practice but that was long before modern computerised engines with sensors all over the place... In fact, most modern diesel vehicles have a warning on the filler cap and in the handbook stating that under no circumstances are you to add petrol.

Are you sure the fuel has frozen?

Diesel now has an additive that prevents it freezing up to something like -30oC

I would be more tempted to check the fuel filter as this collects the moisture in the fuel and that could well have frozen up...

But i doubt its the fuel in the tank.

mr squirrel, the mechanic was very certain that the diesels froze up, i have parked it in the garage and put a charger on the battery....

so will check it tomorrow as he was 100% sure it will fire up.

i changed the glow plugs as its been weak to start on cold mornings anyway. So you wouldn't reccommend a bit of petrol in the tank?? i also thought that diesel doesnt freeze as my mates and other family diesel cars have been fine.

Don't think Diesel actually freezes, it turns waxy so won't go through the system.

mr squirrel, the mechanic was very certain that the diesels froze up, i have parked it in the garage and put a charger on the battery....

so will check it tomorrow as he was 100% sure it will fire up.

i changed the glow plugs as its been weak to start on cold mornings anyway. So you wouldn't reccommend a bit of petrol in the tank?? i also thought that diesel doesnt freeze as my mates and other family diesel cars have been fine.

If your mechanic is certain, then he is probably correct.. its just that in 20odd years of running diesels (and petrols), i have never actually experienced frozen fuel. You must live in a really cold area :D

In days before computerised engine management systems, a bit of petrol in the tank at a mix like Convert says was a common practice but certainly in the last decade or so, all the handbooks etc have really stressed not to add petrol under any circumstances.. Personally, i wouldnt but the risk is up to you.

Having said all this, what kind of car is it anyway?

Diesel doesnt freeze due to a wax added to the solution to stop it from doing exactly that. Unfortunatly i cant think of what your problem may be, but if i have any ideas i will let you know

cheers guys, its my workhorse which i need running asap, its a bora tdi.

we will see if he is right tomorrow as its in the garage, i really hope he is.... Any ideas what it can be if its not the diesel???

Surely if you buy decent diesel such as Shell etc. they should put something in the fuel to stop this??

Edited by Space

If its a Bora, then i would definitely not add petrol as it will do more harm than good, regarding the ECU (and connected sensors etc)

It certainly sounds like a 'fuel' problem.. If it dosent fire in the morning, i would look next at the fuel filter and air in the system but to be fair, if your mechanic is half competent (im sure he is) he should have looked at those already.

If only everything in life was as reliable as a Volkswagen :rolleyes::hihi:

Where did you fill up with diesel recently?

The quantity of ethanol and other additives to lower the waxing point varies depending on where the diesel is sold, just like it varies in petrol to change the flash point in hotter or colder climates.

Could that account for how it's waxed?

Other than that, could it have got water in it somehow? Anything which has allowed condensation to form or water to drip in could make ice crystals form, which can accelerate the waxing process.