70 years ago. 12th December 1940 The Marples was bombed

My most vivid memory of blitz night comming out of the shelter when the all clear was sounded at about ten past 4 and standingat the moorhead and seeing it on fire from end to end as far as I could see I had sheltered under Redgates but when it started burning we moved to a shelter in Charles St A real night to remember

Why do people keep on insisting that there are bodies under there? Too dangerous? Why so....? They cleared the entire sight and bodies were removed, it's documented :)

Yes, I recall the stories of the bodies being left in the cellars, I also recall the foundations going down for the Marples, and came to the conclusion that all the quick lime that had been poured down there had done it's job.

Yes, I recall the stories of the bodies being left in the cellars, I also recall the foundations going down for the Marples, and came to the conclusion that all the quick lime that had been poured down there had done it's job.

I suspect the point is that a 500kg bomb going off in an crowded underground cellar isn't going to be pretty. Particularly as a fire followed. The building was 7 stories high and collapsed into the cellar. The services obviously did what they could and then tipped quick lime onto the rubble to prevent disease.

I am sure there are no complete bodies down there. Indeed it is probable that no complete bodies were removed either. But undoubtably there will be human remains buried, just like there always will at Ground Zero.

I suspect the point is that a 500kg bomb going off in an crowded underground cellar isn't going to be pretty. Particularly as a fire followed. The building was 7 stories high and collapsed into the cellar. The services obviously did what they could and then tipped quick lime onto the rubble to prevent disease.

I am sure there are no complete bodies down there. Indeed it is probable that no complete bodies were removed either. But undoubtably there will be human remains buried, just like there always will at Ground Zero.

My grandma witnessed at least a couple of bodies being recovered, at the time of the initial rescue. But, as you say, it can't have been much less than total carnage, a seven storey building, receiving a direct hit..

It makes you think doesn't it? Some folk would have left to catch their tram/bus just prior to the bomb hitting The Marples, other poor souls would have unwittingly replaced them.

One thing that all of them would be very pleased with is the respect that Sheffield folk show for this tragedy. This happened six and a half years prior to my birth, however it could have been 65 years before, it is so difficult for someone such as me to comprehend the enormity of what happened.

At that time my Grandma was a regular at the Marples hotel, that fateful day my Grandma was sick so didn't go. I can't imagine what life would have been like without Grandma, she played a big part in our lives.

There was quite a feature about this on the Beeb this evening

My Grandad was one of the survivors , all he ever said was there was nothing left when he got out.

My Dad was a crane driver in English Steel forge and was also in firewatch on top of one of the tall buildings in the Wicker when the Blitz occurred. He told me he walked past where the C+A was and it was carnage with trams turned over on their roof an buildings blown out eveywhere. The jewellers had its front blown out and gold and diamonds left untouched on the pavement by everyone. The luftwaffe had been told to spot the Cathedral and open bomb doors and fly east to flatten Attercliffe east end and Industry but mistook St Marys Church for it so Moor and Town centre got it all instead. He said it was hell on earth

My late grandpa described fire-watching on top of the Dormer twist drill facctory building (where Greens' Health Club is now) and told of being on the roof, encased in a sort of protective metal torpedo thing, with eye slits. He said it was frightening.

There was a programme on BBC1 yesterday at 7.30 about the Sheffield Blitz. It was pretty interesting. Catch it on I-Player.