First Bus refund help and advise

Hi,

I have written to the First bus company as I purchased a weekly saver ticket on Monday obviously not expecting the snow that we've had. The only bus service I can catch was suspended on the 1st, 2nd and today the 3rd of December. I aksed them if they would be paying out compensatory day savers like they did last year in the strikes. The response I got from them was less than satisfactory as I was told that due to the sno, they had already extended any weekly savers which expired on the 1st Dec to the 2nd Dec.

As stated I bought my ticket on the Monday, so I doesn't run out until Sunday, and havn't actually been able to use this ticket for 3 days as they havn't provided the service for 3 days and have been unable to catch any other bus.

Can anyone help me where i stand on this? Does anyone know of anything under the consumer rights act or anything, I know it's only 3 days but when i'm paying out almost £18 per week and I havn't had the use of the service i've paid for for 3 days I think I should be entitled to something?

Any guidance would be fab!

I bought a FirstWeek last Friday and I have called First Customer Service today, and was told that they will not be issuing any refund, as it was a situation (i.e. cancellation of all services in Sheffield on Wednesday) beyond their control.

I was hoping that a 1-day compensation for the same ticket type would be reasonable.

Quite disappointing, but what can you do?

Edited by Zoowatch

Hi,

I have written to the First bus company as I purchased a weekly saver ticket on Monday obviously not expecting the snow that we've had. The only bus service I can catch was suspended on the 1st, 2nd and today the 3rd of December. I aksed them if they would be paying out compensatory day savers like they did last year in the strikes. The response I got from them was less than satisfactory as I was told that due to the sno, they had already extended any weekly savers which expired on the 1st Dec to the 2nd Dec.

As stated I bought my ticket on the Monday, so I doesn't run out until Sunday, and havn't actually been able to use this ticket for 3 days as they havn't provided the service for 3 days and have been unable to catch any other bus.

Can anyone help me where i stand on this? Does anyone know of anything under the consumer rights act or anything, I know it's only 3 days but when i'm paying out almost £18 per week and I havn't had the use of the service i've paid for for 3 days I think I should be entitled to something?

Pretty much nowhere. Circumstances beyond their control.

Hi,

Rather than going down the legal route I'd take a chance on the common sense of the driver. They'll know when the route was and wasn't operating so if you ask the driver to accept the "expired" ticket for three days after the expiry date they may well just let you on without messing about with writing back and forth.

First, like all companies, reasonably exclude consequential loss from failure to provide service but that is no reason for them to not provide the service paid for - ie 7 days travel on their buses.

Rather than going down the legal route I'd take a chance on the common sense of the driver. They'll know when the route was and wasn't operating so if you ask the driver to accept the "expired" ticket for three days after the expiry date they may well just let you on without messing about with writing back and forth.

First, like all companies, reasonably exclude consequential loss from failure to provide service but that is no reason for them to not provide the service paid for - ie 7 days travel on their buses.

Drivers are paid to drive, and not use common sense or initiative. Doing so would probably land the driver with a disciplinary or a P45. If the company says "no" then the driver is bound to carry out company policy.

And anyone who wants to call the driver a "jobsworth" should ask themselves why their inconvenience is worth more than another person's job

Surely the Sales of Goods Act or the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 would come into force

Thing is even if they do screw you over and dont give you a refund they know they you will still catch their busses so they probably wont do much about it.

Drivers are paid to drive, and not use common sense or initiative. Doing so would probably land the driver with a disciplinary or a P45. If the company says "no" then the driver is bound to carry out company policy.

And anyone who wants to call the driver a "jobsworth" should ask themselves why their inconvenience is worth more than another person's job

Well a couple of times I've only had a fiver to pay for a two pound odd ticket and the drivers not been able to change it and said pay me once i've got the change and not taken enough to change it so comped me the ride. These were on early morning buses and if First issued there drivers with an adequate float it would not have occurred but on both occaisions the driver used common sense and as i've seen both drivers numerous times since neither got fired.

..........i've paid for for 3 days I think I should be entitled to something?

Let's step back a minute and see what might have happened if the buses had been running, the bus might have skidded on the ice and snow and you would have been involved in an accident.

You could have lost or broken limbs, maybe even lost your life.

But instead you have lost just under £7 (you said "nearly £18 for 7 days" = aprox £2.57 per day....)

I know which I'd rather lose....

Well a couple of times I've only had a fiver to pay for a two pound odd ticket and the drivers not been able to change it and said pay me once i've got the change and not taken enough to change it so comped me the ride. These were on early morning buses and if First issued there drivers with an adequate float it would not have occurred but on both occaisions the driver used common sense and as i've seen both drivers numerous times since neither got fired.

well the drivers were lucky an inspector didn't get on then.also it was early morning so not a big chance one would anyway. it's ok you saying the drivers should use common sense but it isn't your job on the line if an inspector gets on. anyone that says complaints etc get swept under the carpet are very wrong and don't know what they are talking about

Surely the Sales of Goods Act or the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 would come into force

It would, and given that the OP has bought a ticket allowing to him to use such buses as can be provided, without any guarantee whatsoever that they will run ... he will not be entitled to a refund under those acts.

ask for a refund, or 3 free days! you have rights its not about wether its a penny or £10,000. Its the principle.

If a consumer is left in an unfavourable position after the purchase they are entitled to a refund or compensation.

Edited by MrMan