Blue Ball Wharncliffe Side children not welcome

I always expect my children to remain seated whilst eating and they always do!!! It was before my children had eaten and admittedly our fault that we did not realize food was not served before 5pm and we were early, but still do not expect to be treated like second class citizens just because we have children.

I am so pleased I never went into a pub where the staff were 'pleased when families went'.

Most families 'now a days' do still expect their children to behave and believe me my children do and I am sorry I do not expect them to be robots!!!! My wife is also a teacher and always explains to them both the rights and wrongs of how to behave and has very high standards, we would also never allow them to throw food etc or play with dangerous objects.

I think this thread has just shown what people think of children in the blue ball (ROBOTS are fine) and that it is ok to send them home hungry. :rant:

Also not sure why it became a thread about discipline and bringing up children:loopy:

You'd be better off taking them to somewhere like Meadow Farm at Ecclesfield or a Whacky Warehouse style pub if you don't expect them to sit down throughout your stay. These type of pubs have special kid zones for them to let loose in.

When we take our little one out anywhere other than this style of place, I must admit, we do insist that he remains in his seat at all times (other than an accompanied toilet trip!) as I believe it's only fair on the staff and other customers.

We have no problem in getting him to do this and on the odd occasion that he's tried to get down, he's put back on the seat.

When ever I took my kids any where they never left their seats until

it was time to go home, that's unless they went to the toilet.

People used to ask if they were like this all the time and the answer was yes, that's what you call well behaved.

The stanerds have dropped over the years, what the young call well behaved is far from what I would call well behaved.

And as for the pub as you say " their loss " believe me they will be glad if you don't go back.

I've worked in pubs where they did meals and we were always glad when families had gone. The mess they make is unbelievable. Chips trodden into the carpet, peas, tomato sauce etc on the seating, spilt drinks.

I think you've got the message, try McDonalds.

i disagree i am 29 and both my boys have manners and respect they have had this taught from a early age and behave extremly well when out eating and we get lots of comments mainly from older generation about how well mannered they are and how nice they eat 1 barmaid asked recently if we had asked the boys to tidy the table after finishing our meal to which our reply was no they did it on own initiative so dont think its a generation thing its a thing where people cant be bothered to educate there kids right!!!

I totally agree that children should be seated whilst eating and behave appropriately in a public place. But I will not make my children remain seated throughout their visit (as others did not who were in there). Just will avoid here in future, as know of other places (and as parents I am sorry it does just mean wacky warehouse or mcdonalds etc) who welcome appropriately behaved children (as my children were) and their families!!!

i disagree i am 29 and both my boys have manners and respect they have had this taught from a early age and behave extremly well when out eating and we get lots of comments mainly from older generation about how well mannered they are and how nice they eat 1 barmaid asked recently if we had asked the boys to tidy the table after finishing our meal to which our reply was no they did it on own initiative so dont think its a generation thing its a thing where people cant be bothered to educate there kids right!!!

Sound like lovely boys:) I also get compliments about mine (which is one of the reason I started this thread as they do not misbehave). Think some people just expect that when you have kids you should only go where other children are and that they do not want to sit down and have a meal with their families. My daughter especially likes to clear up as well and was distraught yesterday as she thought she had done something wrong and could not understand what she had done wrong, how could I answer that without explaining that sorry the lady obviously does not like children ( I didn't by way and the way and just said they had no food left).

Sound like lovely boys:) I also get compliments about mine (which is one of the reason I started this thread as they do not misbehave). Think some people just expect that when you have kids you should only go where other children are and that they do not want to sit down and have a meal with their families. My daughter especially likes to clear up as well and was distraught yesterday as she thought she had done something wrong and could not understand what she had done wrong, how could I answer that without explaining that sorry the lady obviously does not like children ( I didn't by way and just said they had no food left).

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why it's such an issue that a pub doesn't allow children. I know of lots of pubs which don't allow children in at any time of day, whether eating or not.

As far as I understand it, there is no law which says that they have to make children welcome and lots of law surrounding the places that children may not go inside the pub and things that cannot be done around children. Add on to that the number of people who state that they would rather not go into pubs where there are children and I can understand why publicans may feel that they'd rather take the decision not to allow children in their pub.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why it's such an issue that a pub doesn't allow children. I know of lots of pubs which don't allow children in at any time of day, whether eating or not.

As far as I understand it, there is no law which says that they have to make children welcome and lots of law surrounding the places that children may not go inside the pub and things that cannot be done around children. Add on to that the number of people who state that they would rather not go into pubs where there are children and I can understand why publicans may feel that they'd rather take the decision not to allow children in their pub.

The pub do allow children, they actually make it look quite child friendly with baby changing room and high chairs etc. Totally agree that if you don't like children (like here) you should not allow them in or only at certain times and understand that some people prefer that they are not in when they are eating. The point is they were allowed and were well behaved, but because they were walking around and looking at the lights etc and she didn't want her display ruined, she made up a story about a complaint. Therefore I just want to warn people that they obviously make themselves out to welcome families (prob for the good pub guide) but do not!!!!!!:rant: Think they should just say children not allowed problem solved.

I do have some sympathy as I do think there is a lack of good quailty places that welcome children. I'm guessing it is mainly due to poor behaviour in the past they just decide it is easier not to bother (an example being my friend)

I stay clear of the 'play' pubs as I just disagree with the whole ethos of them, for me meal time is a family event sat at a table and eating together (well as well as you can eat with a wriggly 3 year old ) not the kids running off from the table to play when the parents sit there watching them.

(EDIT: I don't have kids myself but many of my friends do and have seen how frustrated they can get, it's not easy :hihi:)

I always expect my children to remain seated whilst eating and they always do!!! It was before my children had eaten and admittedly our fault that we did not realize food was not served before 5pm and we were early, but still do not expect to be treated like second class citizens just because we have children.

If your children were not sat down before the meal, what exactly were they doing?

If your children were not sat down before the meal, what exactly were they doing?

As I said before looking at the Christmas decoration and playing with another little boy. All were a little excited but what does anyone expect with christmas lights around them. And no not annoying anyone else, if this had been the case they would have been told by us. :rant:

As I said before looking at the Christmas decoration and playing with another little boy. All were a little excited but what does anyone expect with christmas lights around them. And no not annoying anyone else, if this had been the case they would have been told by us. :rant:

Know exactly how you feel and am sure my child would have been excited as well. Been there myself with my little boy and was not made to feel very welcome. Nothing was actually said to us but we were stared at by the bar staff and one even tutted at us because he had left a few peas on the table. I also do not allow my child to cause a nusiance to others or leave a mess (I did clear his peas away). Not sure if management has changed as it used to be a friendly place to take children.