Brit Writers' Awards - mysterious publishing opportunity?

My concern is that if the BWA, and others, are propagating a message that author's platform is more important than writing skill, then it will lead to a drop in the quality of successful novels.

Just to be clear Ron, I said on my blog, which you quoted on this thread - that it was some publishers I'd met had told me that platform came before writing skill - not the Brit Writers themselves.

Hi Ian,

I think I see where you are coming from. A person may have fabulous ideas, and the potential to be a great writer, but lack the discipline to get anything down on paper.

My concern is that if the BWA, and others, are propagating a message that author's platform is more important than writing skill, then it will lead to a drop in the quality of successful novels.

I was reading a related article in Writing Magazine this morning. It was by someone called Laura Miller, and she was expressing the fear that in the modern environment, a publicity-averse author such as Harper Lee may not have succeeded, and a book such as To Kill a Mockingbird might not have reached the millions of readers who would otherwise embrace it.

Hello Ron,

Yes you're right, thats what I cryptically alluded to. I have known myself, several talented people, who, for whatever reason (drink, drugs, or mental instability) where unable to write, paint, or do anything that required prolonged coherence. There's genius going to waste right now!

I think there may be some truth in the theory that the story, and an author's platform is more important than writing skill, within the literary industry, that is. I'm sure that many hard bitten, gimlet eyed publishers look upon a writer's work purely as the 'product'. The inevitable first question is going to be "Is it sellable?" Therefore, they will take a very holistic view to formulate a 'packaging' concept. In that scenario, writing skill might be ignored, at least initially.

I may well be accused of idealism, in my belief that, by and large, poor writing, even in a mult-million-selling blockbuster, like the emperor's new clothes, will be laid bare eventually. That's not to say that 'Da Vinci Codes' won't keep on happening, but I'm convinced that truly great writing will always be recognised—in the fullness of time. Whether that is soon enough for the writer to benefit is another thing!

IR