Brit Writers' Awards - mysterious publishing opportunity?

Thanks for your explanation, Georgina.

It does seem a shame that writing skill has been demoted to number 3 don't you think? I wonder if it has always been like that.

Certainly when I was younger and read some Charles Dickens books I didn't really care whether Mr Dickens had, himself, picked a pocket or two, nor did I consider whether he had lived a priviledged life thanks to a mysterious benefactor, nor bother myself with any consideration of his generosity around the yuletide season. These things didn't matter to me, the reader, so why should they matter to the publisher? Money, again, I suppose.

Did you wonder about turning the tables at your meeting and consider asking whether it should be necessary, when running a publishing programme, to have experience within the publishing industry? ;)

I'm not sure if it's always been like that - but you only have to look at an editor like Maxwell Perkins and you realise that substantial polish has often been added to many writers - even those novels now considered masterpieces. That said - there are many current novels selling by the bucketload that aren't exactly well written but it's not stopped their sales. Was the publisher right to publish? It seems if you go by sales, then yes.

Dickens had the fortune not to live in our media dominated world - 24 hour TV, the internet - people are no long 'mere' authors - there's often a need for a face behind a novel, readers want to know more. I'm not resentful, I can see why platform is important - it just means I have to find mine and polish it a little. (It's okay, I'm only short - a platform is probably a good thing!)

Hi Georgina

I'm afraid I've come to this discussion a little late, but I've enjoyed reading your impressions of the BWA and how you feel you will benefit from it. Ron has been quizzing you mercilessly, but I think it has led to some balanced discussion. Very best of luck with your novels, your blurb is intriguing. I hope you've felt encouraged to stay around the Writers' Forum, and look forward to hearing more from you, especially as your association with the BWA progresses.

Tallyman

So, given what you've written about the programme so far, are you convinced that the three most important things that publishers look for nowadays are:

1. Story

2. Author's platform

3. Writing skill

I thought this very strange when I first read it. So I went and asked a few of my publishing-pro friends and they all thought it was odd too. This is what we all agreed.

Platform is mostly an issue for writers of non-fiction, not writers of fiction. If you're writing fiction then story and writing skill (which I'd call voice, in this instance) are both important, and platform is way down on the list.

Hi Georgina

I'm afraid I've come to this discussion a little late, but I've enjoyed reading your impressions of the BWA and how you feel you will benefit from it. Ron has been quizzing you mercilessly, but I think it has led to some balanced discussion. Very best of luck with your novels, your blurb is intriguing. I hope you've felt encouraged to stay around the Writers' Forum, and look forward to hearing more from you, especially as your association with the BWA progresses.

Tallyman

Hi Tallyman,

Don't worry - I'm happy for you & Ron to ask questions - I too had a lot of questions of my own before I joined up with the BWA - so I never mind a bit of open-minded discussion. I'm glad you find the book blurb intriguing - let's hope a publisher agrees :)

I've got another meeting this week, I'll probably blog some feedback and reply here if anyone wants a look.

Georgina

So... a difference of opinion on the importance of 'Platform' then? :huh:

I hope Peacock Lady is right, that story and writing skill are still the most important things.

Besides, am I wrong in believing that some of the best writers have been disorganised, dishevelled, drunkards? :?

I hope Peacock Lady is right, that story and writing skill are still the most important things.

Besides, am I wrong in believing that some of the best writers have been disorganised, dishevelled, drunkards? :?

you're right...I am:hihi:

Ha ha, Kaimani.

I deduced you were a rebel from your frequent disregard for the 500-word limits ;)

No prospect of a gleaming new website from you then?

I'd hate to argue with someone so experienced as Peacock Lady, but I understand that platform was at one time only important for non-fiction - now it's important for fiction authors too. A quick search shows more and more people think so, too.

Don't get me wrong, I think you need to have skill and a great story to even get under a publishers nose - but if you're articulate and knowledgeable that's just the icing on the cake. (Damn, that's me out then).

Damn, that counts me out too, I can only manage the disorganisshed, disshevvellled bit......hic!:D

you're right...I am:hihi:

Yes, some have been all three, and some of the very best writers who were, never wrote a word.

Think about it! :rolleyes:

IR

Hi Ian,

I think I see where you are coming from. A person may have fabulous ideas, and the potential to be a great writer, but lack the discipline to get anything down on paper.

My concern is that if the BWA, and others, are propagating a message that author's platform is more important than writing skill, then it will lead to a drop in the quality of successful novels.

I was reading a related article in Writing Magazine this morning. It was by someone called Laura Miller, and she was expressing the fear that in the modern environment, a publicity-averse author such as Harper Lee may not have succeeded, and a book such as To Kill a Mockingbird might not have reached the millions of readers who would otherwise embrace it.