Brit Writers' Awards - mysterious publishing opportunity?

That looks very interesting Peacock Lady.

Eiry, two months in, and I hope the programme is going well. Are you able to give us any details of what's been happening behind the scenes so far?

Hello Ron,

I'm busy at my computer, as you can see. We have a busy few months ahead of us as a team, working with the BWA, and I can tell you that I'm enjoying every single minute. We're all embracing the various activities, which are challenging and invigorating. I would have struggled to achieve what I hope to achieve working alone and feel privileged to be mentored by such a hard working, enthusiastic team. I'll have a website soon and I hope that you'll click on it for an introduction to my concept. I would appreciate greatly some feedback from my friends at the Sheffield forum.

I hope that all is well with all of you and that you are enjoying your writing as much as ever. Thank you so much for your interest. I really appreciate it.

Hi All,

I am a member of the BWA Publishing scheme and have been following this thread with interest. I would like to point people to my blog where I am relaying my experience thus far in attempting to get published, which—even with reputable agent(s) representation—I have failed to do. I have also outlined my experience with, and thoughts on, the BWA, which might be of interest to some.

Apparently, I have to post up here five times before I am allowed to post the link, so I will say hello—a lot—and then post it!

Thanks. I hope it throws an inside light on things. I do intend to post up with regular progress reports as things proceed.

Regards

Leanne Meredith

Hello Leanne,

Although you made me laugh, clearly you are making a mockery of the five-post rule, which I presume was established to stave off ne'er-do-wells. I hope you have shown more imagination in your book than in your five posts. For instance, you could have commented on some of the poetry or stories on the forum, and passed on some of your award-winning wisdom ;).

Even so, there does seem to be some interest in how the BWA programme pans out, so I think if you could come up with some sort of diary of your progress it would be very interesting. Reading your (provocatively-named) blog I see that you have had a group meeting, a follow-up meeting and a one-to-one. Can you give a few more details about who was at these meetings and what you gained from them?

In any case, good luck with the programme and I hope you will find time to join in on our forum :),

Cheerio

Ron

Edited by Ron Blanco

Hello Everyone,

There's an interview with Imran Akram, CEO on the BWA site. Happy scribbling. I'll get round to reading more of your writing as soon as I can.

Next Attempt: There are problems associated with posting PDF quotes - I'm learning! So we should be careful not to quote them without permission, which is why I removed mine. But here's a web link that is perfectly fine:

http://www.britwriters.co.uk/uploads/files/Imran_Akram_Exclusive_Interview_-_Feb_2011.pdf

Edited by Eiry thomas
Blogging inadequacy!

See previous post. Have a way to go with social networking!

Edited by Eiry thomas
See Previous Post

Brit Writers’ Awards 2011 – Final Call for UK submissions!

The Brit Writers’ Awards is the UK’s largest creative writing project and awards for unpublished and self-published authors. Their network of writers, agents, publishers and partners is growing by the day and in addition to adults; over a million children are involved in their BWA schools programmes across the country.

The prestigious £10,000 prize and publishing contract will be awarded at the gala awards ceremony due to be held in late September in Central London. Last year’s awards were a glittering, star-studded event at the O2, London, attended by TV and film stars, writers of all ages and famous authors including Sir Terry Pratchett who won the Published category award for his book Nation.

UK entries deadline: 5pm, Friday 25 February 2011

International entries deadline: 5pm, Friday 25 March 2011

UK Schools entries deadline: 5pm, Friday 27 May 2011

Award categories include: Novels • Poetry • Short Stories • Non-fiction • Songwriting • Stage & Screenplay • Writing for Children • Published Novels

To enter your masterpieces go to the Brit Writers’ Awards website: http://www.britwriters.co.uk

Even so, there does seem to be some interest in how the BWA programme pans out, so I think if you could come up with some sort of diary of your progress it would be very interesting. Reading your (provocatively-named) blog I see that you have had a group meeting, a follow-up meeting and a one-to-one. Can you give a few more details about who was at these meetings and what you gained from them?

Ron

Hi Ron, I just saw this question about our last group meeting. I've written up a (brief) post on what was discussed at that meeting. I've not posted enough to add a link in this reply, but my blog is in my signature & the post should be obvious, I hope!

Thanks GK,

That is interesting.

So, given what you've written about the programme so far, are you convinced that the three most important things that publishers look for nowadays are:

1. Story

2. Author's platform

3. Writing skill

I'm quite interested to see Author's platform at number 2, which I take to mean the author's ability to reach an audience. My initial reaction is that, if true, this is a little bit sad, and I gather from your blog it was an eye-opener for you too?

Incidentally, what sort of books do you write GK?

Thanks for posting and feel free to stick around (it would surely enhance your platform ;)).

Cheerio

Ron

Well, I had heard this before on forums, websites etc, but this was the first time that I heard it from the horses mouth, so now I do believe it, yes.

As I understand it, platform is a little more than just ability to reach an audience. It's also your credibility/experience with your subject matter - an ex-forensics scientist writing procedural forensic thrillers, say, or someone from the Indian community writing about Indian social matters. Plus also personality is in the mix - the example given if two books of the same subject matter came in, it doesn't matter if one of the authors is a better writer if they can't string a sentence together publicly or work with others to edit/publish their novel.

I write a mix of literary and speculative fiction - minimalist style but with some horror or sci fi thrown in. I like my genre fiction :)

Thanks, I've lurked for a while, but I'll try and post more frequently.

Georgina