Does anyone else feel this section is getting worse?

Will you stop questioning me please and ask Medusa or someone else lol? Im afraid, im not the answer to all your questions :) All I know is that in here, the GLs close rehoming threads (as per this sections rules). Other than that, I have no idea what else they do :)

:hihi:

If you don’t ask you don’t find out.

There are several group leaders in the group... myself, litlemermaid,Evei and spiritangel1, out of all I think that myself and Evei are the ones most often here so are probably the ones to do the most moderation in the group.

I am sorry to say that where moderation is concerned its a case of you can't please all of the people all of the time.

All of the Gl's in this group really care about the group and animal welfare so do their level best to keep it running smoothly and to facilitate the rescues that post here.

Personally I don't think that the group is any better worse than ever, but sadly we do have one or two people using into the group that can be rather abrasive, blunt and abrupt with other users, I think that people forget that we all have to learn somewhere and there are different ages/levels of knowledge amongst the posters here.

I have a question... is it in the best interests of the animal concerned if the person asking a question feels attacked and publicly humiliated? does it make them listen or just feel angry and switch off from the information/advice contained? because I tend to think that the latter happens, the "not suffering fools lightly" attitude of some group members is putting off potential new members and adding to the "clique" theory in my opinion.

It is against forum rules to attack another poster and I think that we all need to bear that in mind...sometimes posts are removed simply because they have quoted the post of someone whose post had to be removed and not because they contained anything wrong, sometimes posts are removed because people will not let something drop after a warning, surely if there was no moderation the group would just turn into a free for all bitch fest (or at least sometimes it would) that in the end no one would want to use!

Wow, loads of people have posted whilst I was posting :hihi:

Err yes same here :hihi:

I agree with your post Litlemermaid, I would love for the group to be a LOT more welcoming and friendly, because the long and short of it is that we are all people who do have a passion for and love animals, if the group can help just one every now and then well that makes it all worth while doesn't it?

I have a question... is it in the best interests of the animal concerned if the person asking a question feels attacked and publicly humiliated? does it make them listen or just feel angry and switch off from the information/advice contained? because I tend to think that the latter happens, the "not suffering fools lightly" attitude of some group members is putting off potential new members and adding to the "clique" theory in my opinion.

I think when it happens, in an abusive/nasty (cant think of the right word here) way then people DO ignore the advice and just think 'to hell with it'. Then dont come back to the group. Sometimes, ive noticed (and im guilty of this too!) say the rehoming threads (example here - not a thread im going on) but say the animal isnt flea'd - people jump on it, before the 'little hitlers' (;) ) get the chance to close it. Sometimes though I just think, leave it. Ive seen in the past few weeks/months, some of the worst comments made on here. It does seem to be the same people, but not always. I know we all care for animals, and by trying to give info out to people in a polite way, non aggresive way then the person will take more on board (like what I put in the op about my cat eating takeaway - I came back and somehow managed to take on/rehome/help all these bloomin' animals out!) and me personally, I would have got a kitten out of the ad-mag was it not for this group and learning about animals/rescues etc. Just think it'd be nice to see people come along who were in my situation 3 yrs ago and to learn so much.

Having a different and equally valid opinion though isn't being unpleasant or aggressive or having an ego.

Similarly having a passion for animals doesn't make everyone the same - or there would be no "I hate Cesar" threads.

I post more on this section than ever before 'cos i did think it was cliquey and back patting and venomous towards newcomers. Just trying to balance thing sout a little.

When I was GL on here (Many moons ago) I saw the rough side GL's receive and let me tell you, its a lot nastier than the posts you see on threads!

GL's do a fantastic job at trying to keep the peace, the section can only be as welcoming and helpful as the people that post here.

I don't tend to post much, but I do read a lot and I do often PM people with offers of help and advice. I've seen this section evolve over the years and think its much better now than it was before, people seem more interested in helping and recieving help than before. Just recently we've seen threads asking and offering help which I think the group should be praised for.

Breeding and rescuing will always be a highly emotional, due to the nature of them, but surely ones experience can help another's questions, even if people do have differing opinions

I love this forum although as a GL i have had to remove posts that i feel are not appropriate and not every one always agrees but then thats what people are humans.If its in bad taste i will remove and everyone tries their best.Thank you SF i for one love it.And to Medusa and all the team who do a good job no one can be right 100% of the time its down to judgement not favouritism.I feel honoured to be part of a team.

When I was GL on here (Many moons ago) I saw the rough side GL's receive and let me tell you, its a lot nastier than the posts you see on threads!

GL's do a fantastic job at trying to keep the peace, the section can only be as welcoming and helpful as the people that post here.

I don't tend to post much, but I do read a lot and I do often PM people with offers of help and advice. I've seen this section evolve over the years and think its much better now than it was before, people seem more interested in helping and recieving help than before. Just recently we've seen threads asking and offering help which I think the group should be praised for.

Breeding and rescuing will always be a highly emotional, due to the nature of them, but surely ones experience can help another's questions, even if people do have differing opinions

What a lovely post and thank you for what you have said Peaches, personally I was feeling very disheartened by some of the replies here, but what you said makes me feel that yes we are achieving what we want to and its all worthwhile after all :)

For all the bad points, look at all the good the group does, raises funds, rehomes pets that would otherwise have a terrible fate. It makes the bad feel less prevelant

I do think most on here would take offence to being likened to PETA. lol. I'm usually a dog of the female persuasion but I seem to have mellowed the last few months. There must be something wrong with me! lol.

Seriously though, if you don't like what someone says you have the choice to ignore them. It's a forum after all and the person is typing to a screen. The time it takes to reply to a snappy post could have been used to reply to someone else and the thread stays on. If you really don't like a post, report and ignore it.

If people don't like criticizm they really shouldn't post on a public forum. Not everyone will agree and not everyone will get on. Would be so boring if we all had the same views.

Oh yes I know you can ignore them, but if we all ignored everything we didn't agree with or didn't post things that conflicted with other posts the entire board would consist of an OP and a bunch of replies saying 'yes, I agree!' and it would be a bit pointless, and boring!

Having a different and equally valid opinion though isn't being unpleasant or aggressive or having an ego.

Similarly having a passion for animals doesn't make everyone the same - or there would be no "I hate Cesar" threads.

I post more on this section than ever before 'cos i did think it was cliquey and back patting and venomous towards newcomers. Just trying to balance thing sout a little.

I know it doesnt make everyone the same and im not speaking about different opinions, im leaning towards the personal vendettas between people, the aggresive posts.