Sheffield Thyroid Group

I have thyroid, & had radioactive iodine at 19 which caused me to gain about 5stone in 6months (certainly not for eating either) the iodine also caused me to have vitaligo, and could have also cause fertility probs!

..Well It's been 10years I feel fine, I found that exercise and portion size is best way to maintain weight!

I'm currently on 250mg thyroxine as I've just recently had my second baby ;)

My grandad, mum and both sisters have thyroid

It's a rubbish condition I've had 10years battle with depression, weight, vitaligo, gallbladder stones, work with being ill all the time!!

But it's made me a strong person!!

If the thyroid is under active, does it cause a sore throat?

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

It can make your voice hoarse, or a little deeper.

Quote:

Originally Posted by day-break

It can make your voice hoarse, or a little deeper.

DOES IT CAUSE A SORE THROAT THOUGH?

DOES IT CAUSE A SORE THROAT THOUGH?

It can certainly make you appear irritable :)

Most people with hypothyroidism snore it is this that causes a sore throat .The throat becomes dry and feels sore .So yes it can cause a sore throat .

I cannot believe i have only just found this thread for people with thyroid problems .Hello everyone .

---------- Post added 07-03-2013 at 18:29 ----------

Daybreak I should have said if you havn't been checked out by a Dr you should be .Sometimes people have a sore area around their glands which feels like a sore throat

So is there a Thyroid group in Sheffield?

Is there any decent doctors in sheffield.

I moved house twice in the last couple of years and found the GP total bums.:rant:

I have a difficult thyroid condition that has been hell to get sorted out, it has been sorted out but when I moved house the GP decided to halve the dose:rant:

I really don't have faith in the hallamshire or northern gen, but if someone can offer any help it would be gratefully received :D.

Have you been to either hospital to see a Endocrinologist?

Good luck with this ! Unfortunately most Gps only have a small amount of knowledge

re Thyroid . They also tend to stick to the ranges re blood results which for most patients on Thyroid drugs isn't sufficient . Can I ask if you are under ,over or Para ?

Having had Hadhi for over 12 years ,I I have learnt that you really have to fight your own cause . Do as much research as you can ,join Thyroid forums ,get to know your condition inside and out and outside the lines .

What area do you Live ?

I am under.

Been to see the endo's at Hallamshire and Northern with ONE of the endos being exceptionally helpful and putting me on Armour thyroid for a couple of months before denying ever prescribing it and questioning how it came into my possession.

So now I take T3 - was taking over 100mcg but having moved to a different GP who reduced my dose to 40mcg per day. Hasn't checked my T3 levels, just the TSH Which as you will know isn't an accurate reading to how one feels.

I am on the forums.:huh:

But don't get much help from other users.

I just need to find a GP who is willing to listen and help and not take my meds off me. My RA drugs have been cut down too which I am furious about The GPs here just seem to play around with your bodies chemistry. So it isn't just the Thyroid here but RA also :help:

i have an underactive thyroid too. aside from the blood tests, i get very little in the way of advice or help from my gp surgery. i get very little sleep and am constantly tired but they just dismiss me like it's nothing. i have been trying for a baby with my partner for over a year with no success and went to see my doctor but they did not seem at all concerned and just said keep trying. i found out the other day by reading online that my underactive thyroid can cause fertility problems and my doctor should be monitoring the amount of levothyroxine i take to make sure it is the right amount to conceive. is it too much to expect my doctor to know something about a condition that affects quite a lot of people?