Sheffield Thyroid Group

Hello

I am looking to start a group in Sheffield for people with Thyroid problems.

It would be a friendly informal meeting perhaps once a month aiming to help and support each other.

If you would like to join, or know someone who might please get in touch.

Russian Doll

Hello I'm interested! Not in meetings but would nice to at least have a support megathread on here?

I'm post radioiodene myself.

Wonderful – First member! Are you Underactive or Overactive?

Great idea. I've had thyroid cancer so while I've not actually got a thyroid anymore there are many issues with thyroxine etc.:)

Reply to: VWKittie

I do not know about radioiodene. How long have you had your thyroid problem?

I was hyperthyroid for a long while, drug control failed so I had radioiodene treatment, which basically kills your thyroid, so now I'm hypothyroid and on lifelong thyroxine.

I've had issues for around 8 years now. Developed after contracting glandular fever, that was fun, not!

Hey Bagger, i like your website very much.

Thank you. But it's Susie Orbach's (Fat is a Feminist Issue author) website.:D

Reply to VWKittie

Drugs don't seem to be working for me either. I am being monitored every two weeks at the moment by the doctor and may be seeing an Endo soon. Glandular fever sounds awful! Doe you feel better as hypothyroid than hyperthyroid?

Mine is underactive. I go back tomorrow to the doctors for more blood tests to see if I born with it and to see if my treatment needs adjusting so only at early stages of diagnosis. My neck scan showed my thyroid was twice the size it should be with nodules on it. This gives me an irritating cough and problems with swallowing.

Reply to VWKittie

Drugs don't seem to be working for me either. I am being monitored every two weeks at the moment by the doctor and may be seeing an Endo soon. Glandular fever sounds awful! Doe you feel better as hypothyroid than hyperthyroid?

Hmmm well being hypo is absolutely awful, probably worse than being hyper.

However, personally I was on carbimazole which wasn't working to control my hyper, and I find the hypo much easier to control by taking thyroxine. So on balance, yes I do feel better now (never 100% mind, I'm not sure if my levels are constant as I still get palpitations/mood issues/tiredness etc on occasion) and I actually wish I'd had the thyroid zapped and been done with it years before I actually did.

I guess I didn't like the idea of having to take tablets everyday for the rest of my life but I've just gotten used to it really. I still have to have blood tests every few months though to make sure my dose is right.

Rivelin6 - when I was hyper my thyroid was huge! I couldn't swallow properly either, but after it got zapped it shrivelled away and now I don't have a huge lump and can swallow properly!