Idiots on 2 quads racing up and down S5

I have to say if I had a quad I know what I would be doing, and I know for sure it wouldn't be sitting on here............

Its called fun, let loose a bit....

You don't need helmets for road legal quads do you ?

I doubt they will have been doing more than the speed limit in this weather anyhow even though they looked fast or the engines revving its nuts off.

But wouldn't it be common sense?

To be honest there was a very kind young gentlemen today giving us residents, including the elderly a lift over shirecliffe hill!!!! Then a few more gentlemen also arrived to help on their quads, all with balaclavas on (obviously worn due to the freezing cold) and i can honestly vow that these gentlemen did not go over the limit apart from help, so sorry people if there wasn't there to help you!! But stop complaining and keep in and stay warm if it's that bad !!!!

i wish i had a quad today i wouldnt have been bored all day

yes they had registration plates and no helmets are you are not legally required to wear a helmet when driving quads and trikes,did run up and down our road in s5 but thought it was quite considerate to make some tracks for us,as my wife must go to work as she is a support worker and must go visit the elderly in all weathers!!

yes they had registration plates and no helmets are you are not legally required to wear a helmet when driving quads and trikes,did run up and down our road in s5 but thought it was quite considerate to make some tracks for us,as my wife must go to work as she is a support worker and must go visit the elderly in all weathers!!

no helmets required as they have 4 wheels same as a car, saying that you dont have to wear helmets on a trike or in a robin reliant either

At the moment, it's impossible to tell where roads end and pavements begin. There's always a possibility of vehicles losing control, even if sensibly driven.
The road is usually located between the street lights on either side of the street. The pavement is usually located between the street lights and the boundary of the front garden.

Happy sledging kids:)

All Bikes by law require a helmet what is not by law is the saft clothing they ware...

I saw them today and they was up top of norwood at the tesco they had been riding up and down all day and acting the goat i saw there riding style and thought it was recless and to be unsafe, any person not thinkng to ware protection is a irasponcibal rider that does not govan to the normal standerds of the law, and i would go as fr as saying i bet that the bikes are not even road legal but having a number plate on them does pass this off as being road legal but as for MOT and test who is to know,

i have seen many police officers around in 4x4's and personal 4x4's and yet even tho they have 4x4's this is not ideal for a chaise given in the real normal driving standerds of the police force they tend to get the polie chopper out to servalance them so the police can can hang back and not risk lifes,

but i am unsure what the police force has been up to today i usely se police cars around not today,

know they cant tell me they cant get normal police cars around as the ambulance service has snow socks on so im sure the police force can adopt tis also,

on other notes if you have any issues or somone causing risk to like this shoud be reportedto the police and please try and get a number plate,

please please note if a car is travaling up hill and you are at a crossing and it does not stop for you lease dont govan this as a risk to life as that car is trying to keep momentom to get up the hill (please note this is about traffic lights on a hill) as if he or she stopps they get stuck causing them behind to Stop/brake/go around putting them in dager of traffic coming down and most of all cause the traffic to build up on a hill.

thanks for reading sorry for changing subject a little..

QUOTE=hard2miss;6967369]You don't need helmets for road legal quads do you ?

I doubt they will have been doing more than the speed limit in this weather anyhow even though they looked fast or the engines revving its nuts off.

just done some research and this is what i came up with

WEARING OF PROTECTIVE MOTOR CYCLE HEADGEAR - RTA 1988

Section 16 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 allows the Secretary of State for Transport to make regulations requiring persons driving or riding (otherwise than in sidecars) on motor cycles to wear protective headgear. Currently, the regulations are the Motor Cycle (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998, which state:

Every person driving or riding on a motor bicycle (other than in a sidecar) on a road-

(a) must wear protective headgear, which

(b) must be securely fastened to the head of the wearer by means of straps or other fastening provided for that purpose (if it has a chin cup it must have an additional strap to go under the jaw), and

© must bear a mark indication in compliance with the British Standard/equivalent EU standard, or

(d) be of a type which, by virtue of its shape, material and construction could reasonably be expected to afford protection similar to, or greater than a helmet which conforms to the latest British Standard 6658:1985 (or equivalent EU standard).

Notes

In © above, the British standards Kitemarks which are acceptable are B.S.2001 :1956; or 1869:1960; or 2495:1960; or 2001:1972; or 5361:1976; or 2495:1977 or 6658:1985 (per Schedule 2 of the Regulations). Any of these will do, it does not have to be the latest Standard. The Standards are amended over the years (the 1960 Standard has had 8 amendments, the latest in 1975), the helmet does not have to have the latest amendment.

A driver who is propelling the vehicle by foot is exempt from wearing a helmet. However, if it is being propelled "scooter" style, then the rider should wear a helmet.

Although riders of motor cycles need to wear protective helmets, surprisingly passengers in sidecars do not, even though they are often at a lower level than the cycle and therefore at greater risk from objects thrown up by other traffic such as stones.

"Motor bicycle"

Means a two-wheeled motor cycle with or without a sidecar attached thereto or not. If the distance between the wheels is less than 460mm, then they shall be counted as one wheel. The BMW - C1 (a recent innovation) which is a motor bicycle where the windscreen extends into a roof which continues behind the rider to form a kind of open sided enclosure of the rider is still a motor bicycle and the Ministry of Transport maintain that there is still a requirement to wear a protective helmet when riding these machines. This view has been confirmed by the High Court on an appeal by the Director of Public Prosecutions in the case of Parker on 7th May 2004 ie there IS a requirement to where a protective helmet when riding a BMW - C1.

OFFENCE

It is an offence for a person to drive or ride a motor cycle on a road when not wearing protective headgear.

EXEMPTIONS

(a) motor mowers, which could come within the definition of a motor cycle;

(b) followers of the Sikh religion who are allowed to wear turbans whilst driving or riding motor bicycles having regard to the impracticality of Sikhs conforming with their religion and wearing protective helmets at the same time.

It will be for the prosecution to prove that the driver or rider of a motor cycle on a road was not wearing protective headgear of the appropriate type for a prosecution to be brought.

Quad Bikes and trikes aren't classed as motorcycles.

So i stand corrected the law states they are free not to ware helmets but if thease riders are reading i know its a pain to ware the helmet and you may/may not be exsperance riders it is a good idea to ware a helmet as this will save you life from head trama and most likly stop you from having major spinal injury even tho you may get some injury but a hellmet will help save you life as a back protection you can get spinal boards to ride with same as the motorcross a piin in the rear end but saves your like and saves you being in a wear chair...

safe driving and if thease are the same lads or different lads to them lads on the qods that help the man out well done for being human and helping them out in need of help!!

just done some research and this is what i came up with

WEARING OF PROTECTIVE MOTOR CYCLE HEADGEAR - RTA 1988

Section 16 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 allows the Secretary of State for Transport to make regulations requiring persons driving or riding (otherwise than in sidecars) on motor cycles to wear protective headgear. Currently, the regulations are the Motor Cycle (Protective Helmets) Regulations 1998, which state:

Every person driving or riding on a motor bicycle (other than in a sidecar) on a road-

(a) must wear protective headgear, which

(b) must be securely fastened to the head of the wearer by means of straps or other fastening provided for that purpose (if it has a chin cup it must have an additional strap to go under the jaw), and

© must bear a mark indication in compliance with the British Standard/equivalent EU standard, or

(d) be of a type which, by virtue of its shape, material and construction could reasonably be expected to afford protection similar to, or greater than a helmet which conforms to the latest British Standard 6658:1985 (or equivalent EU standard).

Notes

In © above, the British standards Kitemarks which are acceptable are B.S.2001 :1956; or 1869:1960; or 2495:1960; or 2001:1972; or 5361:1976; or 2495:1977 or 6658:1985 (per Schedule 2 of the Regulations). Any of these will do, it does not have to be the latest Standard. The Standards are amended over the years (the 1960 Standard has had 8 amendments, the latest in 1975), the helmet does not have to have the latest amendment.

A driver who is propelling the vehicle by foot is exempt from wearing a helmet. However, if it is being propelled "scooter" style, then the rider should wear a helmet.

Although riders of motor cycles need to wear protective helmets, surprisingly passengers in sidecars do not, even though they are often at a lower level than the cycle and therefore at greater risk from objects thrown up by other traffic such as stones.

"Motor bicycle"

Means a two-wheeled motor cycle with or without a sidecar attached thereto or not. If the distance between the wheels is less than 460mm, then they shall be counted as one wheel. The BMW - C1 (a recent innovation) which is a motor bicycle where the windscreen extends into a roof which continues behind the rider to form a kind of open sided enclosure of the rider is still a motor bicycle and the Ministry of Transport maintain that there is still a requirement to wear a protective helmet when riding these machines. This view has been confirmed by the High Court on an appeal by the Director of Public Prosecutions in the case of Parker on 7th May 2004 ie there IS a requirement to where a protective helmet when riding a BMW - C1.

OFFENCE

It is an offence for a person to drive or ride a motor cycle on a road when not wearing protective headgear.

EXEMPTIONS

(a) motor mowers, which could come within the definition of a motor cycle;

(b) followers of the Sikh religion who are allowed to wear turbans whilst driving or riding motor bicycles having regard to the impracticality of Sikhs conforming with their religion and wearing protective helmets at the same time.

It will be for the prosecution to prove that the driver or rider of a motor cycle on a road was not wearing protective headgear of the appropriate type for a prosecution to be brought.

Quad Bikes and trikes aren't classed as motorcycles.

So i stand corrected the law states they are free not to ware helmets but if thease riders are reading i know its a pain to ware the helmet and you may/may not be exsperance riders it is a good idea to ware a helmet as this will save you life from head trama and most likly stop you from having major spinal injury even tho you may get some injury but a hellmet will help save you life as a back protection you can get spinal boards to ride with same as the motorcross a piin in the rear end but saves your like and saves you being in a wear chair...

safe driving and if thease are the same lads or different lads to them lads on the qods that help the man out well done for being human and helping them out in need of help!!

i had already said they didnt need to wear helmets 2 posts above

my partner owns a road legal quad hes a very good driver in a car on a motorbike and a quad he doesnt wear a helmet and he does wear a balaclava he wears a balaclava to keep him warm i think its ridiculous that all young men on quads are ridiculed because of a few idiots as along with my boyfriend alot of his mates own road legal quads they drive sensibly and are respectful to people around them so please dnt judge all quaders on a few muppets n yes i am biased on this subject i admitt but not making excuses for my partner he really is a good driver n he is respectful to everyone especially children as we have a daughter of our own and if anyone was to put her life at risk he wouldnt be happy so he wouldnt risk some one elses child think some people in sheffield need to sit back and realise not all young men are same

It would be sooooooooo much fun to have a quad in this weather, or a snowmobile.