Good camera for a beginner

could i ask please a good camera for digital photography, not the real expensive ones but not the basic brands either, my aim in time is to try and take good pictures to start with of sheffield, the type of photoghrophy which interests me is the clever stuff, ie the neon beams on street lighting/cars, coloured backgrounds, catching the water droplets in close up, that sort of stuff, which i know takes years to master, so i wondered which camera members could reccomend for good quality pics at a reasonable price, to learn with, also are there any camera clubs in sheffield

Nikon D5000 get them at a good price now i have just sold one had it 10 mths and loved it was a great start in DSLR photography.

Hi, sorry I know this is an old thread but thought id save making a new one.

I'm interested in starting photography and wondered what people recommend as the best camera to start of with. Like above I've been recommended the Nikon D5000. I'm not wanting to spend a fortune on one but I do appreciate good cameras cost.

As I put I'm a complete beginner to this. I know the sort of photos I'm wanting to take if that helps. Mainly black and white/ Some night shots/ and also light exposure.

I also like editing photos like changing color and effect ect.

Hope this helps. Any advice and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks

Hi craig

Give me a call on 07720980693 ,i have a Canon 450d for sale with many extras, maybe just what you are looking for.

bit less mainstream but I would encourage you to look at Pentax DSLR - the cameras are not fantastic technology (but keep getting better and are available at good prices) but have access to some of the finest lenses ever made - at sensible prices

Once you buy into a brand you will build a collection of glass, and changing to another system is pricey/painful. I know from experience! I was bought into Olympus film SLR and virtually gave away some wonderful lenses that were of no use any more - but the joy of Pentax has been finding interesting/obscure lens and it working perfectly (and I mean perfectly, even the AF) with my Pentax DSLR

Any Nikon is extremely reliable so I'd say that

I'd recommend Nikon. They have a good range to suit many budgets and the lenses should you wish to start getting serious are not as expensive as Canon.

I chose to use Nikon around 1990 (started with the F4) and haven't changed since. I could say I'm ready for an upgrade as I've had my current camera 4 years now but to be honest, don't think I need to. I don't need an increase on the MP front and I don't think I'd benefit on spec.

Edited by damophoto

Personally i feel that lenses are more important than the body, but that may be a topic for another day. I would say go with a camera you can grow with, not one you end up changing after 6-9 months because you are limited by its functions. There isnt much difference between a lot of the early entry brands now, so pop along to a store like Jessops of Harrisons and get a feel for the different models, they are also usually very good for offering advice, so take advantage of it.

If your looking to do more low light photography then you will need a low F number (preferably 2.8 or less). I think you can do a lot with say a zoom lens and a decent prime lens (1.8 or lower).

Let us know which one you chose and how your getting on with it!

Anyone who has recently got a DSLR or a Bridge Camera and is baffled by all the settings - or wants to know how to create the effects that the starter of this thread mentions - I run weekly full-day workshops in Bakewell on 'getting to know your camera settings' - I often advertise on Groupon - £32 for a full day including lunch of locally made pie n peas! PM me if you want more details - I will happily take bookings directly at this price if I have space.

Edited by weddingpics

Anyone who has recently got a DSLR or a Bridge Camera and is baffled by all the settings - or wants to know how to create the effects that the starter of this thread mentions - I run weekly full-day workshops in Bakewell on 'getting to know your camera settings' - I often advertise on Groupon - £32 for a full day including lunch of locally made pie n peas! PM me if you want more details - I will happily take bookings directly at this price if I have space.

Is that you on groupon today @£29?

Hello - yes it is - sorry I forgot they had reduced the price this time!

Please pm me if you want to come! Dont buy via grpon!