Why, exactly, am I paying council tax?

oh for gods sake, another moaning thread. its snow, it causes inconvenience and disruption, i had a 2.5 hr journey to work yesterday (should have been 20 mins) and had to abandon car on the way home and walk, yet im not moaning, the council and bus drivers etc are doing their best but when its snowing no-one can do much so whats the point in moaning?! side roads near me have no chance of being gritted cos people aint clearin the way for them but il just wait patiently until either it stops and i can clear it myself, oe it melts. nowadays people are way too lazy and reluctant to do anything for themselves!!

If no one payed CT, the city would be like a post appocolypse movie.

So I'm guessing no one in Barnsley pays council tax?

So I'm guessing no one in Barnsley pays council tax?

Yet Barnsley makes Sheffield look poor :hihi:

I'd love to know where this myth that grit alone will stop snow from settling, and that if snow has settled, it's solely the fault of the council for not sending enough gritters out. If this was true, beaches would never get snow on them.

Council tax doesn't pay for the postal service.

Do the council provide the health service?

And you'd probably only slip because;

the pavements are full of holes or are uneven

the pavements haven't been gritted

they're are cars parked on the pavements and you had to go round onto the ungritted road

there are cars parked on the pavements and you had to go round onto the road with piles of uncleared leaves on it

(delete whichever is not relevant)

They don't, but the op seemed to think they did.

The reason for slipping would be snow. You might have noticed it falling from the sky... And since when do gritting lorries drive on pavements or private property?

It's just winter weather?? And when do you remember winter weather as bad as this?? I guess it was back in the '80's - but remember that buses were heavier built, and could run in the snow, same as cars were better built, not like the margarine tubs on wheels we have now which just can't cope with the weather.

Again, if everybody wants to see MASSIVE consul tax rises, we can have as many gritters as we want! If this weather is to become typical in this country, then forward planning is required to update the procedures in place. Let's face it, before last winter, it was typical to see mild, wet winters, and the procedures in place were more than adequate. In future years I'm sure there will be better advance planning, but it can't be done in the blink of an eye!

A lot of the blame has to go to the numpties who, despite the media warning people not to try and drive, still take their cars out and block the roads up. Who is to blame - the stupid pillock abandoning his car in the middle of the road, or the gritter who, having probably walked to work, cannot get to grit the roads due to abandoned vehicles??

Better built cars and buses? You mean the ones that all rusted away and wouldn't pass a modern safety test?

As to last seeing weather like this, did you miss the snow this time last year?

What as council tax got to do with royal mail ?

...or the NHS?

I pay house insurance, car insurance and life insurance, doesnt mean i actually want to have to use em - Although up to now ive had to use 2 of em - not sure i will be telling you when i use the life insurance though

It's just winter weather?? And when do you remember winter weather as bad as this?? I guess it was back in the '80's -

We had a few years of mild weather in the 90s but most people will remember that this kinda of weather is normal.

We had a few years of mild weather in the 90s but most people will remember that this kinda of weather is normal.

Normal?

We haven't had a snowfall like this since 1979.

Up until last winter I'd only had to leave the car at home a handful of times in the last 20 years.

So, as I understand it (feel free to correct me), I pay council tax for the Police, Ambulances/NHS, Postal Delivery, Keeping roads clear (or is this under Road Tax?), etc etc etc.

In the last six months (and longer), I have phoned the Police 0 times, needed an Ambulance / hospitalisation 0 times, had nothing but junk and circular mail. The only thing I use (if it's included in this) is the roads - for the terrible bus service - and the council have abandoned them to the elements (despite many assurances heard on radio / tv stating it was all in hand and controlled). So because of this, I don't get paid today. But the council still get to tax me on my earnings.

That accurate?

no you forgot that it also includes contributing to council employees pension/ sickness pay as well so something else that you wont benefit from either unless you work for the council:hihi: