Why, exactly, am I paying council tax?

...have a think about whether you'd rather pay privately if you slip later and break a leg.

Do the council provide the health service?

And you'd probably only slip because;

the pavements are full of holes or are uneven

the pavements haven't been gritted

there are cars parked on the pavements and you had to go round onto the ungritted road

there are cars parked on the pavements and you had to go round onto the road with piles of uncleared leaves on it

(delete whichever is not relevant)

I don't care about Wednesday ripping the banks off but when they're conning the rest of us questions have to be asked :)

Come on BigChip, even you have to be slightly worried why the rest of us have to pay our dues yet Wednesday can get away with ripping off the local community.

So much for their image as a 'community club' !!!

The thread is about council tax, not a pathetic attempt to have a swipe at Wednesday.

Big chip LOL, check your own shoulders, that bag of McCains must getting a bit heavy now.

And just what do you expect anybody to do about this severe weather? There's nothing that can be done. We're just gonna have to wait it out. Gritters (who, by the way, are council workers who agree to work extra hours to grit the roads) were battling the appalling conditions last night. They really cannot do any more. It would be lovely to have teams of gritters who get most of the year off and then swing into action when the weather is bad. It would be lovely to have fleets of gritting wagons and snow ploughs, but if you are moaning about the council tax you pay now, just think of what it would cost if all these things were available to us?

Sadly, the extreme weather has caused major disruption. However, there is nothing even Superman could have done.:rolleyes:

Give that man a medal.

I never diss the gritters as it's a thankless task and not a job I would want.

Council staff have been out and about round Gleadless Valley; so far there's been a team from Estates shovelling on the roads, a digger clearing Blackstock Road and a gritter with him. There is grit underneath as well, judging by the colour of the snow/slush in the tyre-tracks and footprints, but conversely I believe that the grit also needs traffic to disperse it. They also have abandoned cars and lorries and other obstructions to deal with - precisely the reason my car isn't going anywhere till it clears.

And I really don't think the media - esp Look Leeds - getting all hysterical, doing outside broadcasts and hyping up the situation, help.

Well, you certainly don't pay Council Tax for a superb gritting service.

First buses pulled off the roads at 11 am.

Royal Mail collections and deliveries suspended.

Just a quick query, what does you old man do for the other 350 days of the year when its not snowing (if he's a gritter / snow plough drive).

Its an honest question :)

General Road Repairs, clearing drains etc, he's been on gritting duty since the start of October.

so you'd want to pay a huge increaase in council tax to ensure ALL roads are kept clear? There is a balance to be had re gritting and cost which is about right - unfortunately we have had over a foot of snow.

its not that bad out, just get on with it - i have!

Edited by bunkey
typo

I always wondered how the gritter drivers get to work.

I would have thought that they would have a 4 x 4 or something to drive round and collect them or let them drive the gritter home when bad weather is as certain as it was this time.

Afraid not, he has to make his own way to work and back

What as council tax got to do with royal mail ?

The thread is about council tax, not a pathetic attempt to have a swipe at Wednesday.

Big chip LOL, check your own shoulders, that bag of McCains must getting a bit heavy now.

It is indeed a thread about Council Tax and Wednesday had £80k wiped off their debt by our understanding (some mayy say bias) council.

A very valid point i think, maybe if the council of written off the wages of employing 3 additional members of the gritting team we could have clear roads :)

I think calling it 'extreme' weather is a bad excuse, it's just winter weather.

It's just winter weather?? And when do you remember winter weather as bad as this?? I guess it was back in the '80's - but remember that buses were heavier built, and could run in the snow, same as cars were better built, not like the margarine tubs on wheels we have now which just can't cope with the weather.

Again, if everybody wants to see MASSIVE council tax rises, we can have as many gritters as we want! If this weather is to become typical in this country, then forward planning is required to update the procedures in place. Let's face it, before last winter, it was typical to see mild, wet winters, and the procedures in place were more than adequate. In future years I'm sure there will be better advance planning, but it can't be done in the blink of an eye!

A lot of the blame has to go to the numpties who, despite the media warning people not to try and drive, still take their cars out and block the roads up. Who is to blame - the stupid pillock abandoning his car in the middle of the road, or the gritter who, having probably walked to work, cannot get to grit the roads due to abandoned vehicles??

So, as I understand it (feel free to correct me), I pay council tax for the Police, Ambulances/NHS, Postal Delivery, Keeping roads clear (or is this under Road Tax?), etc etc etc.

That accurate?

No. Have a look at the Council website to see what Council Tax is for.

I think they're doing a good job keeping the main roads clear. There isn't an endless supply of grit and unlimited numbers of vehicles.

Guest sibon
It is indeed a thread about Council Tax and Wednesday had £80k wiped off their debt by our understanding (some mayy say bias) council.

Aside from the fact that you are coming across as petty, bitter and twisted, you are also incorrect. Unless you know something that I don't know.

If you do, kindly start a new thread about "Wednesday's Council Tax Write Off". Don't derail this one in your usual manner.