Why, exactly, am I paying council tax?

So because of this, I don't get paid today.

It's up to you to get yourself to work. The council will do what they can with the gritters and ploughs but there's no guarantee they will be able to cope with heavy snowfall.

The problem is that you have unreasonable expectations.

I'm so jealous of you "townies". Us people out on the very edges of Sheffield don't get anything when the weather is bad. We haven't had a postal delivery in our village for 4 days. We also haven't had a single bus run through the village for 4 days and we haven't had the grit wagon/snow plough come down the main road of our village at all!!!

When our village flooded in the summer of 2007, lots of residents called the fire brigade many times to ask them to pump water out of our homes. You know what they said in response?? "Sorry, unless human life is in imminent danger we're too busy looking after the people in Sheffield city centre to bother with the small villages. You're on your own and will have to manage the best you can." We called the council many times to ask them for delivery of emergency sand-bags and they responded "Sorry, we had to use all the available sand-bags to protect the buildings in the city. You're on your own".

We pay the same levels of council tax as you "townies" but never get the same level of service !!! It's time people in rural areas paid less council tax if they don't get the same service.

You probably get more per person, its just you have a low population density.

You could always move to parkhill, you could bag a flat ONLY £200 000. Council tax band A too :suspect:

you should do what is know in footballing circles as 'doing a Wednesday', you owe £80k in Council Tax, stop paying it, get yourself in huge financial debt then the council will 'forget' about the money you owe them and in a few weeks you can marry a rich old bird who will write your debts off for you while the council (and local community) are still £80k out of pocket!!

My advice would be to 'do a Wednesday!!'

Just a note, my parents work for a council, granted it's not Sheffield but one that is having it just bad as us, my dad is a gritter/snow plough driver and spent an hour trying to get out of his street to get to work to start his shift so it is not just the public that is having the problems, council staff are having issues too. My mum went to work at 10pm last night and has not left yet, she is responsible for monitering old peoples alarm systems and is having to cover other peoples shifts. So get a grip and stop moaning, there are people in worse positions than you that need to be at work or that are stuck out in this.

I'm so jealous of you "townies". Us people out on the very edges of Sheffield don't get anything when the weather is bad. We haven't had a postal delivery in our village for 4 days. We also haven't had a single bus run through the village for 4 days and we haven't had the grit wagon/snow plough come down the main road of our village at all!!!

When our village flooded in the summer of 2007, lots of residents called the fire brigade many times to ask them to pump water out of our homes. You know what they said in response?? "Sorry, unless human life is in imminent danger we're too busy looking after the people in Sheffield city centre to bother with the small villages. You're on your own and will have to manage the best you can." We called the council many times to ask them for delivery of emergency sand-bags and they responded "Sorry, we had to use all the available sand-bags to protect the buildings in the city. You're on your own".

We pay the same levels of council tax as you "townies" but never get the same level of service !!! It's time people in rural areas paid less council tax if they don't get the same service.

You obviously have a complex about 'townies'. That's OK, just stay away from the town you 'bumpkin'.

you should do what is know in footballing circles as 'doing a Wednesday', you owe £80k in Council Tax, stop paying it, get yourself in huge financial debt then the council will 'forget' about the money you owe them and in a few weeks you can marry a rich old bird who will write your debts off for you while the council (and local community) are still £80k out of pocket!!

My advice would be to 'do a Wednesday!!'

Oh deary me, give it rest you're boring mate.

my dad is a gritter/snow plough driver and spent an hour trying to get out of his street

I always wondered how the gritter drivers get to work.

I would have thought that they would have a 4 x 4 or something to drive round and collect them or let them drive the gritter home when bad weather is as certain as it was this time.

Just a note, my parents work for a council, granted it's not Sheffield but one that is having it just bad as us, my dad is a gritter/snow plough driver and spent an hour trying to get out of his street to get to work to start his shift so it is not just the public that is having the problems, council staff are having issues too. My mum went to work at 10pm last night and has not left yet, she is responsible for monitering old peoples alarm systems and is having to cover other peoples shifts. So get a grip and stop moaning, there are people in worse positions than you that need to be at work or that are stuck out in this.

Just a quick query, what does you old man do for the other 350 days of the year when its not snowing (if he's a gritter / snow plough drive).

Its an honest question :)

Oh deary me, give it rest you're boring mate.

I don't care about Wednesday ripping the banks off but when they're conning the rest of us questions have to be asked :)

Come on BigChip, even you have to be slightly worried why the rest of us have to pay our dues yet Wednesday can get away with ripping off the local community.

So much for their image as a 'community club' !!!

I would gladly pay my council tax in good faith to the old fashioned "rural local authority" that we used to have, rather than the big city council who pumps all the money into Pitsmoor, Darnall etc. They completely forget the rural residents and use every penny for those in the city.

The old "rural council's" were brilliant:

We had our own council housing stock and waiting lists that gave priority to people who had lived all their lives in that rural local authority - Therefore our crime rates were virtually nil, drugs were non existant and social and moral decay did not exist and no-one was homeless.

We had our own small, local town hall that dealt with everything - No need to trail all the way to the city centre.

We had our own local police officer funded by our council rates - The local "Bobby" was a respected man who everyone looked up to. I remember the "Bobby" slapping me for being cheeky when I was a kid. Do you think I made a formal complaint to the Police Authority? I daren't even tell my mum cos I know I would have got some more off my Dad.

The rural council was supported and paid for by local people with local people working for them. The council workers didn't stay at home if it snowed because they lived in the local area and could walk to work.

Bring back rural communities !!! I hate Sheffield city centre and Sheffield Ciy council.

well you dont have to come to sheff town centre - you wont be missed.

Get over yourself we all pay council tax... My poor OH's car will not start he finishes work at 7ish and will have to walk back from Dronfield he's not complaining.