Snow: Do You Think People Are Overreacting?

Are people over-reacting with the current snowy conditions?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Are people over-reacting with the current snowy conditions?

• Yes
    • No
    • What snow
    • It snow joke

I've just cleared 10 inches of 'sprinkle' from the driveways - and now there's 2 inches more.

Someone's bound to come back with centimetres - but it doesn't sound as good.......

Tomorrow I may build a snowcat - you can't do that in the summer.

The things is, how did our ancestors ever survive... when there was no such thing as gritters, central heating, and paid leave.
They lived close to their place of work, and bought food from a local market or corner shop.

the bbc are now banging on about it now because in the south east and London they're expecting 5-10cm of snow tonight!!!

my daughters school was the only one open yesterday, and she did go in.

i did manage to get out with my car but did struggle quite a bit, but main roads were clear.

today is a different matter though, yesterday the snow came down in blizards, this morning the cars wheels are nearly covered, the snowman the lads made yesterday is not recognisable anymore, and the two steps to my front door are completey covered.

in the snow drifts its about 2.5ft - 3ft deep

if we need to go anywhere............its on foot only

the bbc are now banging on about it now because in the south east and London they're expecting 5-10cm of snow tonight!!!

Now that's an overreaction.

Sensible? :suspect:

You're seriously embracing your age these days mister :hihi:

They lived close to their place of work, and bought food from a local market or corner shop.

And a lot of them died.

I'm not overreacting, I'm a bit miffed that I can't get to work though (unless I walk) and have to take a day off

I would say people are overreacting, except the bloody council hasn't gritted 99% of the roads so there is no food at any of the local shops and its impossible to get to any further away.

Our weekly food shop from Sainsburys was due yesterday but decided on health and safety grounds to cancel everyones orders and never let us know. So by the time we knew, the snow had gotten even deeper with no chance of getting anything.

Mind you, its nicely coincided with a bad cold I have had for over a week now so I am pretty grumpy too coughing my guts up. I don't usually make a big deal out of colds as I suffer from Hayfever so they are normally no worse than what I put up with in the summer anyway, this one is a real doozy though or I would have done my mid-week milk run before the snow got so bad.

I just can't believe how quickly everything comes to a stand still when it snows these days. If it snowed in the 80s I used to still have to go to school, but then they used to grit and plough the roads.

Edited by AlexAtkin

pot holes in the summer. last winter the excuse was lack of road salt. this year thousands of tons of road salt still stock piled while we all struggle, so whats the excuse this year ? i realy dont see the point in paying road tax anymore when we all have to struggle like we are at the moment and all the road fund money is given away by the government as foreign aid.

The things is, how did our ancestors ever survive... when there was no such thing as gritters, central heating, and paid leave.

I would love to see some of you people try and function in a country where the snow fall is more significant than here :D

We could do it here, its not that we can't it's that we don't have the infrastructure or the money to pay for it all, if you want to pay £500+ council tac a month then go for it but I'm happy as I am.

It's -2 outside, there's ~8 inches of snow, and it's getting dark. In 1 hour I have to walk 3 miles home because the buses have stopped.

And I'm looking forward to it.

I think complaining about snow (aside from extreme circumstances) is one of the seven signs of ageing.