• Told not to go to work.
    • Decided not to go to work.
    • Had to go to work.
    • Went to work no matter what.
    • Set off but had to go back home.
    • Childcare issues forced time off.

we get PAID snowdays HOOOOOOOOOOOORAY bring on the snow

SNowdays arent holidays or sickness just extra hols

Yesterday main roads were fine here (Ecclesfield) but the main roads/bus routes are just as bad as the side roads now. A council van with a man and a shovel did some amount of gritting but there has been no proper gritting today.

I walked to the car at about 6am and did enough to get in and start it but in the end didn't bother clearing it as the only people on the roads were having a terrible time, sliding all over. No busses and a disrupted train service (plus a long walk in deep snow to the train station) so I've decided to stay at home. Managed to do more work than I would have in the office anyway. I'm hoping the managers see it the same way! :D

Am sitting in my warm office having walked here - it was fun and exhilarating! Main roads are driveable and I saw a snow plough and gritter out (mind you, it was just round the corner from the Olive Grove depot).

Perhaps it's time society should re-structure itself???

I recall a time (when I was little) when your parents made sure they lived in the same area where they worked ....

If your Dad got a job at a steelworks in Meersbrook - you went to live in Meersbrook. If he got offered a job working at Fletchers bakery - you went to live in Hillsborough.

Parents looked for a home close to work and within walking distance of a school, shops, doctor. That's how it was. No-one considered that commuting was a good idea.

The result of people living and working within their small, local community was that they built a strong sense of community spirit and pride. People actually helped each other and created community co-hesion.

My office is closed today. I was so willing to walk. Love the snow.

because there are loads of jobs in the smaller villages outside sheffield eh?

Perhaps it's time society should re-structure itself???

I recall a time (when I was little) when your parents made sure they lived in the same area where they worked ....

If your Dad got a job at a steelworks in Meersbrook - you went to live in Meersbrook. If he got offered a job working at Fletchers bakery - you went to live in Hillsborough.

Parents looked for a home close to work and within walking distance of a school, shops, doctor. That's how it was. No-one considered that commuting was a good idea.

The result of people living and working within their small, local community was that they built a strong sense of community spirit and pride. People actually helped each other and created community co-hesion.

It sounds good but those were the days when a job meant a job for life. It's a bit different these days.

We opened our online shop today - Tea Box Online. And I am glad we didnt have to go outside in the snow to open! Good luck everyone

I am not in work today, however I am very bored. I don't know what to do with myself!

We opened our online shop today - Tea Box Online. And I am glad we didnt have to go outside in the snow to open! Good luck everyone

well youre missing a trick....get a link to the site in your signature to boost your views ;)

my shop views have rocketed today...it must be all those people stuck at home browsing the internet :)

wish i was! lol

x