Fake email from Inland Revenue

I've just received the following email from

[email protected] on behalf of HM Revenue & Customs ([email protected])

and presume [because of the amount of grammatical errors] that this is a fraud - has anyone else received the same email?

Quaterly Tax Refund Notification

We've been notified by HM Revenue & Customs Refund Department that your tax payment refund has accrued up to 181.87 GBP, you are advised to respond Swiftly to this mail so as to facilitate the processed within 72hours of receiving the information thats required.

On going through files dated 12/04/2010, The following Banks are processed within 48hrs of recieving your information

Abbey National Plc

Alliance & Leicester

Hsbc Bank Plc

Lloyds TSB Bank Plc

other banks are required to allow up 72hrs.

You are require to Submit the tax refund request using the tax refund reference below

hhttp://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/tax&_refundsLabel=document

Please Note : If the Account provide is incorrect or inactive your refund would be forfeited.

Yours Sincerely

HM Revenue & Customs

| ?§?± Crown Copyright | Terms & conditions | Privacy policy |

I had one a couple of months ago, it is fake just delete it, the Inland Revenue will contact you by post regarding refunds etc.

I think there is also a section on the hmrc website that you can report these emails to, might be worth doing.

we get these regularly at work - its junk delete - there are also ones that also state from a bank - depending on which bank you are in cos they quote them all - that states someone has accessed your bank or they are going to close an account etc- ignore all its spam delete the lot. we have a very good 'spamfilter' at work get about 150 a day , only time we look through is when a customer has said they've sent a mail and we haven't receive it just in case their mail got caught up in the filter.

I got a tax refund.. IR will just write to you and send you out a cheque seperate. Well thats what they did for me

I have not opened it but there are a few going around - especially the ones who ask for your bank details

HM Revenue & Customs giving you money - has to be fake

If you go to your email "options" and select full header you can see where they come from if you are in any doubt

Oh how I wished the email I received was fake! It informed me that I would be receiving a letter - and I did! £8k poorer now!:wow:

Quote HMRC -

HMRC will never send notifications of a tax rebate by email, or ask you to disclose personal or payment information by email. If you have received an email claiming to be from HMRC that you suspect may be fraudulent, please forward it to [email protected].