Santa's Grotto, Fargate

Myself, 2 sisters, my mum and her 5 grandchildren visited the grotto on Sunday, we don't often get together as my nephew has been poorly in hospital but he made the journey so this was an extra special visit. How gutted us adults were and disappointed the kids were, the presents weren't suitable for under 2's (choking hazards) cheap tack. Good on you for complaining and glad you got money back, I wish I had complained also, whoever made all that money should donate to charity, especially the Sheffield Children's Hospital. We had to make a a visit with my poorly nephew on the way home!

Sheffield City council have excelled themselves again, it is advertised on line that the grotto is open until 8 pm, so took the kids down after tea, only to find it closed at 6:30, because of a problem with the elves. However after reading the 4 pages of threads perhaps that was a good thing.

I thought Weds was late night shopping, the place was like a ghost town.

Sheffield City council have excelled themselves again, it is advertised on line that the grotto is open until 8 pm, so took the kids down after tea, only to find it closed at 6:30, because of a problem with the elves. However after reading the 4 pages of threads perhaps that was a good thing.

I thought Weds was late night shopping, the place was like a ghost town.

Maybe there was an elf and safety issue.

Sorry.

emma&james, how many times do I have to repeat myself???

IT'S NOT ABOUT THE MONEY, READ WHAT I'VE POSTED FOR GODS SAKE

it's about young kids coming away with a very disappointed feeling about the experience, the gift & cost were irrelevant

it's the fact they entered the grotto expecting to see santa, or at least a believable replica, and came out on the brink of no longer believing in santa

there's a big difference and if you can't see it then you have no soul

and what makes you think I don't have a job?

the fact I complained?

aren't gainfully employed people allowed to complain?

I'd reccommend Weston Park Museum! My God kids loved it!

:hihi:

Visiting Father Christmas in his grotto in a 70s town centre Co-Op involved a walk along a snowy, lantern-lit pathway and a ride on some sort of mechanical sleigh complete with reindeer (sadly not warm and furry, though). The toys were still crappy, as I recall, though that is filtered through 30+ years' worth of Christmas disillusionment.

I took a toddler Taxman to see Father Christmas at our local Co-op in the early 70s. I wasn't the only one to notice that he had Wimpey stencilled on his wellies!

Does anyone remember when the council had Santa on a bus at the top of Fargate? It was the same elderly gentleman every year, who was lovely, and it was FREE !!!

The high prices at the town centre grotto are probably to make up the money they had to pay the big wheel company to get them to move out before February 2011.

Have you ever known Sheffield Council to organize anything with quality and value.

Perhaps bonfire night in Norfolk park 20+ years ago, free and fantastic.

I almost feel ashamed for using capitals in Sheffield Council.

Sheffield City Council.....striving to be average :hihi:

Sheffield City Council.....striving to be average :hihi:

Therein is the reason I left.

As long as we're no worse than somewhere else why is evryone complaining?

hi i would just like to let people know we have just returned from the weston park grotto.We was the only ones there, but we felt we were been a bit rushed, the santa was a nice old type who put our youngster at ease and made him happy.It cost a fiver which was worth our young uns happy face as we left, but i think they should change the wording on their web site about santa will be there in person giving out quality presents, i have seen better in the 99p shop but like i say this santa sounds better then anywhere else on sf .

we were going to take our little ones to "sheffield city centre's only santa's grotto" (the council website's own lies), but having read this thread in full we are going to castle market instead. that is still in the city centre, i believe.

not bothered if it's expensive, or the gift is rather poor value. it's the experience that matters, and i'd prefer my kids to be happy that they've seen santa, rather than disappointed with a poor fake with no idea. oh, hang on, it's sheffield city council's grotto, maybe they're preparing the children of sheffield for a lifetime of disappointment with the services they provide.

to us christmas has very little to do with any religion, but spending time with and enjoying the company of those we care about most.

and, seeing as the thread went on a religious tangeant, certain people may want to have a look over here

http://www.atheistnexus.org/profiles/blogs/merry-mythmas

happy mithras, everyone.

Excellent idea,slightly flawed however as the grotto on Fargate is owned and operated by a independant business and Castle market is owned and run by the council.