Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

We live in S26. I appreciate Royal Mail have a had a lot to deal with during the bad weather but this is getting beyond a joke now. At the beginning of last week we started to get deliveries again after nothing for a week. Great we thought, they're doing their best to get rid of the back log. But then we had no post for five days! Between myself and my wife we're awaiting at least a dozen letters, cheques, packages, hospital letters, xmas stuff etc. We've lived here for six years and only had one day in that time with no mail. They obviously have a backlog so why aren't they posting it at any available opportunity?

Would a polite call to the distribution centre at Dinnington help?

from their website

Temporary withdrawal of the Special Deliveryâ„¢ guarantee

The Special Deliveryâ„¢ guarantee has been temporarily withdrawn for all SD items posted since Wednesday 1st December 2010. We will restore the guarantee of delivery as soon as we can be sure we can honour the service promise in full, but for the time being the suspension remains in place.

I must admit . . .I can see that the weather has caused problems, but I have been waiting for three parcels now all ordered before the snow came down,none of them huge, when I called the delivery depot they told me the weather had played a part but that also there had been a big increase on people buying via the internet this xmas and that they was already quite a bit behind with getting stuff out before it snowed,if this is they case then why don't Royal Mail take on more staff even if it is only short term . . .lets face it they are getting paid by us all good money for a shocking service . . .so the money should be there to pay out in wages !!

Clare :wave:x

Think yourself lucky. I've been waiting on some parcels from the US that were posted early November. I know that Cliff Clavin wouldn't let me down so have to assume that they've spent the best part of 5 weeks making their way across the UK.

from their website

Temporary withdrawal of the Special Deliveryâ„¢ guarantee

The Special Deliveryâ„¢ guarantee has been temporarily withdrawn for all SD items posted since Wednesday 1st December 2010. We will restore the guarantee of delivery as soon as we can be sure we can honour the service promise in full, but for the time being the suspension remains in place.

saw this today on BBC, shocking, they can't even run their most expensive service.

I'm going to make a huge assumption and guess that the price for SD will remain the same?

Finally had a parcel, one that was posted around 26 November. Hopefully the rest are on their way.

I have just posted a letter to Japan, I asked for the fastest service and the woman at the post office said it would take 3 weeks due to them having a backlog of mail because of the weather. Now I can see the reason for the delays for parcels and post in Sheffield, but surely mail for international delivery shouldn't get involved with that? Don't they have a separate bag for international mail, rather than sticking it all together with local mail?

:rant: I'm beginning to suspect that they're just hiding and hoping that everyone will simply disappear; despite the promises of 'extra people working, we'll try to get everything delivered by Sunday ...' not a single one of the 15+ parcels for which we've been waiting for ages has turned up - all we've had over the last week is a few damn cards. They're a joke; even worse it's impossible to get any information from them, as the sorting offices - the Crosspool one, at least - have stopped answering the phones. Anyone got an idea of what the situation is meant to be in Crookes?

Im glad they're working Sundays to catch up. Im very unhappy that weekends seem to be the only time i get anything. Still waiting on 76 items, which on a count up, will be 58 packets.

So the post office are telling people that first class won't make it for xmas? I've been told recent stuff isn't affected, just the backlog which is worked on separately. Just had a posty on foot bring a card, right address but wrong name.

We live in S26. I appreciate Royal Mail have a had a lot to deal with during the bad weather but this is getting beyond a joke now. At the beginning of last week we started to get deliveries again after nothing for a week. Great we thought, they're doing their best to get rid of the back log. But then we had no post for five days! Between myself and my wife we're awaiting at least a dozen letters, cheques, packages, hospital letters, xmas stuff etc. We've lived here for six years and only had one day in that time with no mail. They obviously have a backlog so why aren't they posting it at any available opportunity?
We live in S81 (Worksop) and had 4 (four, f-o-u-r) RM deliveries yesterday (Sunday) :gag:

First, the on-foot postie. Next, the corsavan postie. Next the ParcelForce guy (alright, not RM...but close enough :D). And finally, the corsavan postie again (same van & guy as earlier). In the end, we didn't dare leave the house, in case we missed the next one! :help:

Obviously all pedalling like what-have-you to sort out the backlog.

Seems hit-and-miss as well, as some of the parcels delivered yesterday had only been posted 2 days before, others a week or so before (at the height of the bad weather period), and I'm still waiting on an Amazon order supposedly despatched in late November, at the same time as another Amazon order (which I got some days before the bad weather) :huh:

Edited by L00b

The daily service update email for today still states the usual dates as being the last recommend posting dates for xmas. Doesn't mention that Theres a 2 or 3 week delay x