Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

ah well thats ok, i thought it was going to be worse than last time from what ive heard! x

My hubby is a postie in S10, he has caught up with the back log on his fitting, he turned up for work everyday when the weather was bad, only to be turned away. Most of the back log mail has been sent out its just the parcels thats causing the problem. Hubby has even been goin in on a Sunday to help delivery of them. Royal Mail also take out some of the City Link parcels, you wouldn't believe the amount of cages they have just full of them.....all I can say in their defence is that they are doing their best......

Ordered some xmas pressie DVDs from Amazon on 28th November 1 out of 5 parcels have turned up. I understand the snow makes it very difficult for Royal Mail but what annoys me is the backlog should get priority i.e. deliver that before things that are being posted now. More snow due at the weekend meaning if they don't turn up soon they may not be here for xmas!

I've just called our local sorting office (Dinnington) regarding the parcels I'm still waiting for (despatched on 30 November) and got the response that they are first dealing with the items that have been received last and then after that the backlogged items that arrived during the snow!!! This is why we're receiving things that were only posted second class 2 days ago, and yet first class items from November may not be delivered until after Christmas!! Who's ridiculous idea was that??

Grrr this makes my blood boil!!!

If i told you the reasoning behind the Hull postmark you wouldn't believe me.

Talking of postmarks, why did I get a 2nd class item overnight yet my packages from early December are lost in the system?

IMO there's no chance of deliveries being suspended again, even if it's officially too risky to send us out.

It's too close to xmas and we're too busy, any days of non-delivery now would be a disaster.

If there's no chance of suspended deliveries again, is there any target date for the backlog to be found and delivered?

Having looked again at the Royal Mail service updates tonight it mentions about how they are investing extra resources to cope but it doesnt mention whether the backlog is to be priority or not. The Northern update section mentions nothing about 'S' postcodes having widespread disruption still.

Any ideas/answers anyone?

Sh2006.

2 parcels dispatched same day same time on 24th Nov by play.com ,one arrived 2 days ago and the other never showed up,it is kinda weired dont you think so .. I hope they didnt deliver it to a wrong address or just left it outside so anyone in my building grab it and go...

Ive got 2 parcels, sent by the same person, on the same day, nov 25th. I got one last week, and the other isnt here yet

Ordered some xmas pressie DVDs from Amazon on 28th November 1 out of 5 parcels have turned up. I understand the snow makes it very difficult for Royal Mail but what annoys me is the backlog should get priority i.e. deliver that before things that are being posted now. More snow due at the weekend meaning if they don't turn up soon they may not be here for xmas!

They have stats & targets to keep to. One of the main ones is what percentage of 1st class post arrives next day. Obviously for that stat it doesn't matter if it's 2 days late or 2 years late. More recent post seems to get priority & the late stuff is dealt with after they've sorted all the new post. It's the busiest time of year for RM, so there is a lot of new post to deal with before they can start on the backlog.

I would imagine that sorting out the pile of mail, starts at the top... otherwise where would they put the top of the pile while they dug out the bottom? ... Am sure as with all warehouses, businesses etc, even the GPO have limited pigeon holes and storage space... so its a case of last in first out..

Front page of the Mail today reports on the huge backlog of post. In particular the worries of people who have bought goodies online ... now with more snow predicted over Christmas, beginning today, wouldn't you think the likes of eBay would grind to a halt (or should) at the end of November or at the least, people should be wary of "the Christmas rush" and maybe feed their money into the local economy ..

I suppose the "value" has to balance out the stress of waiting for and "losing" parcels that we pay ever increasing postal charges for.

Edited by Cloudsailors

It's not only the Royal Mail service that's having problems. I've got £300 of wine that I ordered on 30th November that's not turned up yet. Home Delivery Network attempted to deliver it on 7th December.

Now on the 16th they've still not delivered it. It's in their warehouse in Chesterfield.

At least 9 days late for the few days snow problems is, in my opinion, a joke.

Just had the poor posty on foot, 3 letters and apacket sent from S12 on Nov 25th

Received 3 of the parcels I am waiting for. All seem to be from postie on foot. There are still 3 I'm waiting for, a couple of them I think will be larger ones so hopefully the van will be bringing them soon!