Royal Mail deliveries in Snow - Sheffield Area

is anyone else in S26 still encountering delays? I'm still waiting for 3 parcels which were despatched over 2 weeks ago by Play.com.

is anyone else in S26 still encountering delays? I'm still waiting for 3 parcels which were despatched over 2 weeks ago by Play.com.

my two parcels were from play.com

I had two Christmas cards sent to me from Sheffield yesterday, one was postmarked 'Hull' and one was postmarked 'Lake District' !!

i also had 2 birthday cards last week sent from sheffield and postmarked hull x

If other Delivery Offices are like ours (Pond Street, covering S1/2/3/4/14) then we have cleared much of the backlog. 30+ of us worked Sunday and a lot did 70+ hour weeks last week (including me).

Don't think that we don't care, last Thursday I took out a works van after i'd finished my delivery and delivered all my delayed parcels, working overtime for no pay.

Tbh I think the sheer volume of parcels has taken RM by suprise and the bad weather has seriously compounded that. Last year was busy, and yes obviously everyone knows internet shopping has massively increased but there really is an unbelievable amount of parcels this year.

We have never failed to clear the office though and we won't this year.

Great work and it is much appreciated by the majority I am sure who can see how difficult the weather has made things.

Some people need to be a little more patient and appreciate the hard work and long hours that have been put in.

I have been waiting 15 days for a pair of boots....rule 1... never part a women from a pair of boots. :rant:

15 days for jewellery for my god daughter's 18th. Time is running out now.... :-(

I'm still waiting for 4 parcels. I've had some delivered that were ordered later. I think tbh, it's hopeless now. If they don't come before Thursday, there's no chance :(

I got lots of post yesterday - yipppee. Went to drop off some items to be delieverd at the post office and we were queing all the way down the street. And the post boxes were all full!

Once this snow comes on Thursday we can fully give up hope of everything arriving. Gladly, i started shopping quite early, and if what Im waiting on doesn't come in time, xmas won't be totally failed x

Wouldn't be surprised if the government wasn't thinking of having a look at how Royal Mail has made such a pigs ear of this.

It's become an utter farce.

Trouble now is that the ineptitude of Royal Mail will be hitting smaller on-line retailers whose customers will be deserting in droves. Bad for the economy and bad for the country.

Im so glad this year that i gave up ebay selling. Last xmas and the strikes were bad but its clear this year has been a lot more difficult.

I spoke to a postie online last night, regarding the back log clearance and how new mail is getting out but back log appears not to be this was the explanation:

"If you deliver 8 bags a day (about average) that fills your working day - a week backlog is therefore 48 bags. So delivering say 2 extra bags a day (after finishing your normal delivery) will take three and a half weeks. There is no extra staff to do it.

If I say that my office has a pile of packets about the size of a semi-detached house, in no order; can you then understand how a packet that arrived yesterday may well arrive before one that arrived a week ago?

Also, we missed 5 days delivery, do you know why? Because the terrific Sheffield City Council wouldn't grit the access road to the office. So all the mail never reached us. We would have missed very little if wasn't for Scrivens Skivers."

We can't blame the posties on the ground but the system seems very much to be flawed. :|

Just had a small parcel delivered which was posted on 29.11.10. I asked the postman what was happening with the larger parcels and he said there is a huge backlog and they might not arrive before Christmas. He said they are getting down it and they might arrive before then.